Latest Class D Head Offerings + Lack of Rack Mount Kit Options = Disappointment...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I was shopping a number of the latest class D offerings and noticed a trend. Seems a number of them don't even offer a rack-mount kit option. I realize that many just want to throw the head in their gig bag and plop it on their cabs and use it that way.....but many of us want to toss one of these in their racks to lighten the load and get the benefits of new technology.

Sure we can buy a shelf and retrofit something to make it work, but it's a pain in the a$$ and also just feels like a half-baked, jerry-rigged solution. Would be nice if more companies offers a kit (even if it's optional and we have to pay for it). I'm just b!tching out loud....Thanks for listening! :)

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Rack mounting a class D amp is pretty much missing the point.

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

no problem.

actually: i'm right there with you. but two of us won't make a difference.

there are more rackable class D amps than not (PA): but i assume you are referring to bass-centric amps(?).

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Did I accidentally post on TalkPA?

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

:roflmao:

6. Kro

Kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Because weight savings aren't appreciated by rack users? Again, refer to the PA world. I get :mad: whenever I hear that silly argument.

7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I have got to find the password to my TalkPA account. It's around here somewhere.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah it just seems counter intuitive. You buy a super lightweight head just to put it in a rack that likely doubles the weight? In fact, most racks will weigh more than the head itself.

The whole point, it seems, is to get a super light gig bag for it and throw it over your shoulder, or even put it in the pocket of your bass double gig bag. That on one shoulder and a speaker in the other hand and you're all set.

Putting a class D head in a rack seems like buying a Toyota Prius and then jacking it up and putting big tires on it killing the gas mileage and ride. :D

Ha! Sorry if that makes anyone all ":mad:"......

9. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I feel personally attacked.
    texan-prius.jpg

Isotonic, 96tbird, Oleran and 71 others like this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  11. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    colorado
    I mounted my mesa 800+ on a shelf as I did the TH500 I use to own. The mesa was easier to mount as the nuts that hold the feet screws are attached to the chassis. I like having the amp protected in a rack. Especially with all the little toggle switches on the mesa.

SwitchGear, Oleran, lazycat93 and 4 others like this.
  12. FunkyD

FunkyD Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2011
    NJ, USA
    I like using a rack for protection. There is no doubt in my mind that a small amp on top of my speaker cab will fall off at least one time. Assuming it first survives the inevitable falling out of a bag. And that is assuming the bag stays on my shoulder before the amp falls out of it.

13. Quadzilla

Not at all. I have other things in my rack that I need and I can drop 20ish lbs in rack weight by doing class D. It's a tangible benefit....

14. Quadzilla

So if one uses a rack, one must also use a heavy amp? Lightening the load of a rack apparently makes no sense. Only those who wish to put their light heads in a gig bag need apply....

It also seems this would apply to PA amps. Using the same logic, why class D PA amps? I mean they should be heavy if racked, no?

But seriously though, I don't get your logic. Racked or unracked users can both benefit from weight savings....

15. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I started a thread about this on TalkPA last week. Before I forgot my password.

night_mail, CBRXJ and mikewalker like this.
  16. Quadzilla

TalkPA as in Pennsylvania? LOL!!!
    Pennsylvania Forum

fretless19, smogg and HaphAsSard like this.
  17. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Or wanting to know why there is no Prius hood scoop option....:roflmao:

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  18. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
  19. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    People buying rack mount and people buying class D heads are not in the same group for the most part. Not many bassists getting rack units period.

StrangerDanger and Gearhead17 like this.
  20. Quadzilla

Don't agree as both rack users and non-rack users can benefit from Class D. There are a lot of people like me that have multiple things in my rack that I need, so why not lighten the load if possible? Just because I have a heavy rack means that I also have to use a heavy amp?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.