1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Latest Computer Build.. ~$1000!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by zachoff, Oct 15, 2013.

1. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sweet. Why did you go Intel over AMD?

2. Price : performance... AMD can't touch Intel right now.

3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    +1 my last upgrade I went AMD. For my next I'm going back to Intel. I also wouldn't buy a Radeon, I don't care for their drivers at all. I know they're a lot better than they used to be, but for me nVidia stuff just works.

4. Yeah, the GPU was the last thing I bought because it was the toughest decision to make. I ended up getting the best card I could for $200 & that one won. I've had both nVidia & AMD in the past & haven't had huge problems with either one aside from eventually killing them. :D

5. And if you're wondering about sound, I use my TonePort UX1 for sound & have it hooked up to powered monitors. It's not surround sound, but it rocks the house! I use my headphones a lot of the time, anyway.

6. I'd be really curious if you could explain the process of setting up the SSD. I assume you put Windows on it, and you probably have some programs on there as well.

I'm going to be doing a new build soon but haven't ventured into the world of SSD yet. I see that you have a bracket for mounting it into the tower, but I was reading that sometimes you have to change some BIOS/Windows settings to accommodate the SSD, and there is usually some kind of proprietary SSD software that comes with them too.

Any insight you can provide would be useful.

7. It was pretty simple. The SSD hooks up like a regular HDD. The only suggestion I'd have is don't plug a second drive in until after you've installed the OS on the SSD. I'm not sure if the mobo would get confused as to which is the master, but this is the way I did it and it worked to avoid a possible hurdle.

Put in the SSD, install the OS, turn of the machine, plug in the other HDD, and initialize/format it in devices.

The only things I have on the SSD are the OS, drivers, and browsers. I've installed all of the programs on the other drive and also mapped all of my documents, music, videos, etc to save to that drive too.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    In what sense? I'm not following this comment. It's probably just me being dense, but could you elaborate please?

-Mike

9. surgay

surgay Banned

Sep 27, 2013
    Sorry, I couldn't resist. :bag:

Attached Files:

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That's cool. I work in IT, but I still don't understand the angle of his comment. I think I do, but I don't want to assume.

-Mike

11. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    I like everything except the first item :)

It's a shame that for about half of the things I want to run AMD fell so far behind. It used to continue to be really good for recompiling FreeBSD with itself and other daily tasks :) But my photo editing took too much of a hit with the Phenom II and I never went Bulldozer. Now I have a hassle at my hands about ECC memory. Sigh.

12. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    I built an FX 8core not too long ago. They get hot compared to Intel. I was thinking of Haswell for my next build since it has Thunderbolt. But even some older 1156's have TB.

My next upgrade to the machine will be 32 gigs as I am running out of 16 gig space. When you run Kontakt and Lots of samples...poof goes the ram.

AMD is coming out with a new(ish) chipset 1090FX, but the biggest hurdle they have is one reason people do use them. Backwards compatibility.

They really need to go Intels route and drop the platform altogether and do something new. They were killin when the 939 came out. Everybody was running Opterons.

Plus people like to do Hackintosh towers and Intel is really the way to go there.

13. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hahahahaha Mike, I forgot you had that as your sig. LOL.

Anyway, I recently finished a build earlier this year and went with AMD APU because it was the best bang for the buck. I wasn't employed like I am now, and had little cash. Without any additional GPU, which I can always add, I can play most games on medium settings without any problems. The 8GB of ram has been enough and I can't do anything to slow down my computer. I don't constantly compile data or anything, but I consider myself a heavier user than most. My computer boots in 16 seconds.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f34/new-computer-build-day-budget-gaming-monster-971150/

I got my APU chip for $130, where as Intel could not even come close to competing with a similar chip. The graphics performance of the similarly priced Intel offering was abysmal. If I had a nice budget, I'd go Intel, but I just don't see the additional cost worth the additional performance, especially for the large majority of computer users, even DIY hobbyists like myself. I would build another AMD system in a heartbeat!

14. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate AMD at all. I actually prefer to support the little guy if there's not much lost in doing so. My last three builds were AMD, but it just seems to me that they've fallen behind recently. My Phenom setup gave me 4 solid years w/o issue. Vista, on the other hand... Poop.