1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Latest G.A.S. Fender Deluxe Active P Bass Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderthumbs73, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Well, I did it again. More G.A.S. I picked up a Fender Deluxe Active P Bass Special at a store, basically right out of the box, plugged it into a little Markbass combo amp, and was in funk heaven. Now I "need" this bass. Haha.

I like this one better that my passive Precision with this P/J configuration because (maybe?) of the high-end sheen provided by the active electronics. Even with all the controls set flat, it seems that the active electronics provide a more hi-fi sound. Or did I just imagine this? Yes, I've played my passive Precision P/J with new strings through this amp too, just so you know.

I played one of these basses in the Blizzard Pearl color with the Rosewood neck. Seems like a very nice bass. I'm really not a gold anodized pickguard kind of guy with this color bass, because it's kinda like "sandy beige metallic and gold pickguard together" kind of thing. I'd want to change the pickguard. But this is a small nit.

Seems like a wonderful bass. Owners???

2. Sparkdog

Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    The tone of this bass is definitely more aggressive and hi-fi than a passive Precision and that's because of the active electronics.

I'm interested in this bass too because I get pulled into a lot of jam and party band scenarios where I have to use the amp that's provided and it seems like being able to dial in a usable tone from the bass itself would be a real plus. This one has a TON of cut/boost in all three frequency ranges.

I've had passive P/J basses and could never really make the J pup work for me. I love that burpy bridge tone it provides, but there's such a difference in output and tone from the P pup it just doesn't work in a live mix without a big EQ tweak at the amp. Based on the hour I spent playing with the controls at the store it sounds like the preamp in this bass would actually let me switch between pups and dial my tone with either one.

Does anybody know if a standard Precision pickguard from a MIM or MIA P bass will fit this thing? That gold vinyl pickguard has to go! :meh:

3. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    Get it. I got one aout a year ago and it has been superb. The tone is easily the most versatile I've come across, getting a great sound for whatever I've tried to play on it. It looks superb, although I'm goign to try and swap out the PG for a mirrored one and the build quality is superb.

My only issue is the fact that it can lose its tuning fairly quickly, and the frets are a little too high for my liking.

And standard PGs WILL NOT fit these. There are extra knobs, and the neck (being a Jazz neck) is different. Very few places carry them off the shelf, so custom is more or less the only option.

PawleeP likes this.
  4. Sparkdog

Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    hey Ed,

I understand about the extra knobs but that's an easy fix...just drill two more holes.

What I was wondering about is the fit around the front pickup and the neck pocket, those are standard on all MIA and MIM Fenders.

This bass however, is supposed to have a slightly downsized body. I can't imagine Fender would have made a different size pickguard for it, but I haven't been able to verify.

I have several Precision pickguards laying around so I was hoping to slap a black one on my soon-to-be Blizzard Pearl/maple DAP.

That gold one is something I just can't live with...butt ugly!

5. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    I know what you mean, I'm looking to swap out for a new one. But the other thing you'll want to keep in mind, is that for the electronics the routing on the front is different to a standard P. That and the different neck pocket mean that you'll need to get a non-standard PG.

6. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    It really is a great bass. Played it many times at my local GC. I do find myself wishing there were other body colors available, but I love the neck (comfortable and fast) and the electronics (loud, powerful, musical, and rich).

For me it would have to be either Chrome Red or Blizzard Pearl with rosewood.

7. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    I'm very interested in buying an Active Deluxe P. I'd replace the stock pickguard with a parchment in a heartbeat.

8. Sparkdog

Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Just got off the phone with Fender tech support, the guy I spoke with told me the pickguard dimensions on this bass are identical to MIA and MIM Precisions and as long as you drill additional holes for the extra knobs it should be an easy swap.

I hope he's right!

I'm real close to ordering one of these as my "jam bass".

9. I just ordered one, should get it in a week! :-D

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    There's a used one in a store near me. Black/rosewood for $450. I very much like the way it plays and it's in good shape.
    Yay or nay?

11. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Lightweight, budget-friendly, comfy neck — what's not to like?

12. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I didn't do the same just because I always longed for a navy blue one which never came across while I twice found both black and blizzard pearl exemplars.

Go get it: if everything's ok on it, the price's absolutely right

Cheers,
    Wallace

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    I really like mine, and consider it to be a keeper:

IMAG0447.jpg

I've owned a handful of passive P/J basses, but none of them worked out as well as this active P/J... FWIW, it's no longer sporting the BAII bridge in this pic - I found that the original Fender threaded saddle bridge worked better in this case...

- georgestrings

14. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I talked them down to $400 (after the guy told me they don't negotiate used prices). I'm going to pick it up this afternoon. This'll be my first active bass. Is there anything in particular to look for on these? Any particular quirks/issues normally associated with the deluxe p? Is the noiseless j pup really noiseless? (I've played it in the store but for some reason the last several times I was there the bass room was overrun with young slap-happy hooligans, so it's hard to judge).

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    Make sure the midrange knob works properly - it's supposed to have a center detent, and have cut/boost capability... I had to replace that pot on mine, and it's a Fender only part - not expensive, nor hard to replace, but getting it was a pain...

Other than that, I can't think of anything - they're great basses... I had a little neck work done to mine, and it plays as well as any of my MIA Fenders - sounds great, and is pretty versatile... I've probably done atleast 40 gigs with mine - covering everything from modern rock/metal, an Alice Cooper trib act, blues, and top 40 country - no problems at all...

- georgestrings

16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    So there's four knobs, the third one is stacked. Is it
    1)volume
    2)pickup pan
    3)bass and treble stacked cut and boost
    4)mid cut and boost?

Should 2, 3 and 4 all have center detents? or just the mid knob?

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    Yes, and yes - 2,3,and 4 are all supposed to have center detents...

- georgestrings

18. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    What is your rig setup? Looks sweet

19. non

non

Aug 4, 2015
    i have been looking at this bass. the new ones have two batteries. 18v. does any know what the average battery life is with the two batteries?

20. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/...t-1500000021672.gc?pfm=item_page.rrt1|ClickCP

not sure if i believe the are usa coutry of origin for this price?
    pp

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/...t-1500000021672.gc?pfm=item_page.rrt1|ClickCP

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021