Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Latest laugh riot/insult at Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whacker, Sep 20, 2005.

1. I've been looking for a GK 1001RB-II for a week or so, and found what has to be the best price for one from reading posts here at TalkBass. But not being satisfied to leave well enough alone, I knew that GC would probably match that price, and I felt like I had to have it in my little mitts NOW! So I called the nearest GC (Mishawaka, IN) and checked availability of the amp ("oh, sure, we've got it!"), and they said no problem on the price, so, hey, I'm headed over there. I get there (25 mile drive), and the sales mgr. who I spoke with fiddled with his POS (point-of-sale) terminal to see how many of the desired models were in stock, and it turned out that they only had the one that was there on the floor, with rack ears already mounted, scratched top, manual, AC cord, no box. He said that the fact there weren't any in stock (even via his supply line) was indicative that the unit must be in process of being discontinued (!), and thus also why they could match my desired price point, so I'd better get it while I could! Can you believe this POS (another meaning) corporate shill? I just smiled and thought of all the GC stories I've read about here on the Forum, said my good-byes, and got out of there! Got back home, and ordered it from the best GK source out there (you know who it is, don'tcha?). Live and learn, once again. It'll be here by Friday...

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I always make them check the computer and if it returns "One in Stock" I ask them to check the floor to make sure it ain't the demo before I drive over (it's about 60 miles round trip).

3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    No idea. Care to share? :D

4. No way is the 1001RB-II getting discontinued. I'm still waiting on mine :(

5. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    HOLY CRAP!

There's a Guitar Center in Mishawaka?

:p

6. I don't know how long it's been there. It kind of snuck up on me. I'd been away from the area for a few years, and when I returned, there it was! Another long time gear retailer located in downtown South Bend bit the dust late last year sometime, so they probably played a part in that, and saw the writing on the wall, so to speak.

Obviously the sales mgr. wanted to get rid of this floor model, and was happy to do it at the price I wanted, unconcerned that I might not want a blemished unit, or believe his lies about availability of other ones. He probably had a few in the back room, but didn't want to let 'em go at my price. Seriously shady, if you ask me.

Unchain, just do a search on "Gallien-Krueger" or "1001RB-II", and you'll find the answer pretty quick. Don't mean to toy with you, but I think it's good to get familiar with the forum landscape. Really, the best GK source is all over this thing.

7. My favorite line at Guitar Center is when a customer looks at something (bass, amp, whatever) and the salesman says "That's nice, isn't it? Yeah, I'm thinking of buying one of those for myself." Over the summer I visited the local GC several times to check out various basses. Everytime, without fail, I heard the salemen say that to other customers as well as myself. It got me so disgusted that I bought my new bass elsewhere.

Paul Mac

8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    riksmusic.com

your velcome

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Rik's Music is now RMC Audio - rmcaudio.com. However, riksmusic.com will still get you there. I've had excellent experience with them, by the way.

10. basseuphoria

basseuphoria

May 19, 2005
    i like floor models as long as they work. then they're going to take 250.00-300.00 bucks off the price for me. (BTW, don't do this w/o showing them cash; if they let you walk out, tell the manager how much $ you came in with and your still leaving with. can you say "job opening?)

BTW, i used to sell cars,....can you tell!??!

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Pshaw! You mean you've actually found some who have discovered what a "computer" is?!? :eek:

12. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I stop there sometimes for kicks. That is about it. Woodwind and Brass wind have a much better stock of bass gear. Hoosier Daddy's Music is a neat place but very low inventory. Have you ever ventured to Chicago to shop for basses. There is a boutique type bass shop called Makin Music. Nothing but the best stuff in there.

13. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit

14. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

I remember Daniel Elliott (a GK employee) mentioning that he had a 1001RB-II modified so that it's treble section sounded like the 800RB (mellower) and that Robert Gallien planned on including this mod on all future versions of the RB line. So I guess that means there will be a 1001RB-III. :confused:

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    +1

I got my 1001 from Rik's and had a couple of 'special requests'. I was on the orad and had then delay shipping to time it for when I was returning home and to take it out of the box and run it for a day or so before boxing it back up and shipping. I like my electronics burned in beats the crap out of shipping dead stuff all over hell and gone ...

No problem on either request and everything worked like a charm. I was pretty skeptical of these guys. I mean there isn't much margin in the music business and these guys are way below anyone else... Has to be 'B' stock or are-imported or god knows what. Nope. I called GK and they're on the up and up. I wish they handled more of the stuff I've been after lately... I'll do business with them again at some point for sure.

16. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks wery much. :rolleyes:

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Isn't Woodwind and Brasswind right along the toll road??

18. Witmer-McNease seems to have gone out of business sometime in 2004. I last visited it in 2002. I bought a lot of my early gear there way back when. But it was definitely an old school type of retailer. Very quaint, but they had the right gear for the period.

Woodwind/Brasswind is a pretty amazing store, considering the type of local market there is. Very nice inside, and of course, lots of money made to the local school band wind and string players of all types. They really came into it when they got into the mail-order/InterNet sales segment of retailing. Their prices usually beat the likes of Musician's Friend and AMS.

They're located next to the toll road (I80/90), but accessed off of the US 31 bypass and Cleveland/Brick Rd. (their address is on "Technology Drive."

RMC Audio rocks! I think my GK unit will arrive tomorrow (Thurs.). Now I can at last experience the "GK sound," whatever that may mean. I've read all your posts about it. I know I'll be happy. I even went and dug out my Feb. '04 copy of Bass Player to read up on it. And gigging on Saturday. Oh, yyyeaaahh....

19. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD

The revoiced amp has been out for a while and will have E06 somewhere in the serial number.