Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

latest Lightwave Saber 3D drawing

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by frederic b. hodshon, Apr 16, 2004.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  2. Excellent work Fred! I just did a quick magnified view and it looks great.

Is this drawing a 30º isometric view or is it something else? That shape doesn't lend itself to easily seeing a left vanishing point if there is one.

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Nice as always... but you'd better get those ferrules on the tuners before you put the strings on! ;)

4. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    Hammy: its an isometric view, yes. however, if it had a vanishing point - it would be a perspective.

sorry to be anal about drafting and all...but, i'm an old timer when it comes to this stuff!

PJ: you funny, but, you RIGHT too. i've been asked to add strings to the final rendering. soooooooooo, yes, i'll be adding the ferrules first.

ya know, the string 3D modeling will probably be the most difficullt part of this project!

i've done some basic string layouts, but they were just simple cylinders to check string height, nut slots, etc.

FUN!

f

5. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    thanks you 2, by the way.

i LOVE LOVE LOVE doing this stuff.

i work for Mitsubishi big screen teevee for my day job.

we just had out 2004/2005 dealer line show at the Hyatt in huntington beach.

pretty amazing to see your year's worth of work up on a stage in full glory!!!

but, the whole time i was thinking: if this were only a bass/guitar company...

side note: the new tv technology will blow your SOCKS OFF!

f

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I was thinking the same thing. You can cheat by doing an annular instead of true helical "winding," but the taper-downs (tapers-down?) and the wind around the peg have got to be nightmares. Plus there's the silk wrap. At least the ball end is a cinch.

7. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    yeah, its a challenge. i've done some pretty intricate pneumatic 3D assemblies that really helped me understand how Pro/Engineer can be wrestled into obeying!

i''m gonna have to do a tapered helical sweep around the post, continue the curve through to the bridge while maintaining strinng thickness across crucial areas (nut, lightwave saddle, etc...)

then i can put points on those curves, that may not be tangent at break points, and create a swept blend through those points, the sweep profile being a circle of course.

the textures will be applied in 3D Studio MAX, another challenge there!

thanks for showing some interest!

f