1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LATEST PHISHING SCAM - BE AWARE !

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bassamatic, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I am sure you all have gotten the supposed emails from your bank advising you of some problem ("click here to review") or the latest from the "USPS" advising of a package they tried to deliver ("click here to print a new shipping label and take it to the post office to get your package")

Well today - got a new one - A funeral announcement from "The Amos Family"

Funeral Announcement

Hereby we want to share your sorrow for your dear friend who passed away on Sunday, July 6, 2014.
    You are cordially invited to express your sympathy in memory of your friend at a celebration of life service
    that will be held on Tuesday, July 8, 2014 at the Ocker Funeral Home.

Please find more detailed information about the memorial service (CLICK Here) .

Sincerely,
    Funeral Home Secretary,
    Jayden Gross

WOW - a new low, even for the spammers and hackers. It is simply incredible that anyone falls for this, but obviously many do.

BTW it is clumsily sent from a personal email address at rh.com.au. and the link takes you to espantasim.com.br

Heads up, folks!

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If the announcement wasn't for someone you knew, why would anyone open the e-mail?

-Mike

3. Definitely

Definitely Banned

These kinds of scams are purposely lacking common sense. It's the same reason that the Nigerian letters have terrible spelling and grammar. It costs the scammers time and resources to draw along each potential victim until they get the money, so they purposely make it so obvious that only the most stupid people will fall for it, and they will most likely be the ones to follow through all the way. They don't want moderately smart people wasting their time.

paste and fraublugher like this.
  4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Curiosity kills the cat.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Phishing is fairly easy to avoid. I've had the same email address for nearly 20 years and have never had trouble. I'm sure my email address had been bought and sold a million times. If I get a message from someone I don't know or I'm not expecting, off to junk it goes.

zontar likes this.
  6. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    'zactly.

7. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

This makes absolute sense - they are "pre-qualifying" people for their level of naivety and lack of common sense.

Great comment!!

I guess there will be no TB-ers falling for this one.

fraublugher likes this.
  8. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Thank you, I believe I read it in Freakonomics, it's a smart idea on their part.

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I never realized that about the Nigerian scammers. I always just figured that their English was so poor that that is how it comes out.

10. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    There's a Nigerian prince trying to buy my Wishbass.

11. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    6 string fretless perchance?

12. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    That's so weird you mention that, because I actually did help a Nigerian prince out once. Yeah, I wired him 500 bucks, and he promised to return the favor, and then some. That was a few years ago, but the date he said he'd have it by is pretty far from now.

13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Well the longer the better right? The interest is only building.

14. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    Exactly. And the interest is re-invested monthly.To date, he owes me $9848.54, and growing :D

15. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    What index is that based on?
    :woot:

16. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    I'll never tell :speechless: :greedy: ;)

17. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Are you telling me I wasn't the 1000000th visitor and I'm not the winner of the lottery?:confused:

18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    When in ANY doubt, do not click on a link. Go to the website yourself.