Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Latest: YAMAHA TRB1006 six-string Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IggyPop, Feb 17, 2004.

1. IggyPop

IggyPop

Feb 17, 2004
    Hi,

Has anyone here owned or owe the latest Yamaha TRB1006 six-string Bass?

I read that it is very well crafted with the best woods and uses the same TRB line of Electronics. However the Gold Brass Bridge has been replaced with a Black one. Also it is made in Taiwan or Korea?

Compared to the the first generation TRB6P and TRBJP6, is this an axe that marks up to these happening predecessors?

Thanks! :) :hyper:

2. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    There was a rewiew on www.bgra.net!

And I read that the stringspacing isn't the full 19mm anymore, which s*cks IMO

3. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Hi all,

Can I raise this to the top of the pile. I'm very interested in getting a six string right now, my budget is fairly flexible but remember that I live in ripoff Britain. I've got a lot of respect for Yamaha and could get a new (but end of the line) TRB6II for £750, but the new TRB1006 is £679.

I've read the review mentioned earlier, but the reviewer seems to be getting his facts a bit mixed up. The TRB1006 is 35" scale and NOT 34" and it mentions a tighter string spacing can anyone confirm this?

Basically, if anyone has any information on these basses, especially in comparison to the TRB6II, I'd be very interested in hearing it.

Incidentally, I'd like a Peavey Cirrus 6 but the cheapest I've seen them over here was £1350 - can they be had any cheaper?

4. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    Since you are on the European Union, you could buy one off a German website and get a better deal.

On a side note, can't go wrong with Yamaha ;)

5. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    The 1006 is ok for the price, but the TRB6 is much better.

6. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, I'm starting to think that the TRB6II is a better bass than the TRB1006, but then you have to wonder what Yamaha are playing at?

Why phase out a bass that seems to be more popular than its successor? Seems a bit silly to me?

Do you know of any good German online music shops? I've used Thomann before but they don't seem to have any Cirruses or TRB's cheaper than I could get them here.

7. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    I agree 100%

Whats with yamaha killing off good models.
    1) the hardware moves from the BBNE1 to BBNE2 are nice, but, theyre only available in white or black? ***?

2) your comments bring up another wft yamaha?

3)Im reading alot of bad press about the bb2005. the bb5NA was a popular bass with good reviews. it looked nice too. why cancel it ***?

8. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    MatW, there's musicstore.com, musik-service.de, and so on.

do a search on Google for - trb 1006 eur - (or whatever you're searching for that will be selling in €) and you'll get some more results... though beware for german-language-only websites. Usually dropping them a line with informations about international shipping and stuff will get you off to a good start. Heard several good things about german web-stores and no bad things just yet... Just don't forget to do the math on £ vs. € :D

9. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    What's wrong with bb2005? Haven't found anything about it yet :confused:

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    On a related note, they now make a Nathan East 6. Beautiful bass!

11. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    They do?! Where can I find info on it? :hyper:

Couldn't find anything on google :meh:

12. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Somewhere,(i cant find it) theres a negative review on the 2005, which really bummed me out.

Looking for it, i found 2 different reviews sayting positive things about it. I really hope i was wrong. I like my bb605 and these are a contender when I get another bass in the next month or so.

I still jones for a transparent finish to show off the maple cap on the signature model. Those 2 white or black options just dont cut it for me - my opinion

13. String spacing usually refers to the distance between the strings, rather than between the frets.

Johann

14. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    As far as I know, those specs are the same in both models, but I may be wrong :meh:

15. i played the TRB 1005 yesterday. DAMN! i actually found it to be a better sounding bass than the other TRB that i have played, which was a TRB 4. in fact, around early august i will be ready to be placing an order for my new bass, and i reckon its most likely going to be the TRB 1006, mainly because alot of the other basses that i considered were substantially more expensive, but had less to show for it.

16. Charr

Charr

May 14, 2004
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I tried the TRB1005 about 2 weeks ago, it had a REALLY nice sound and was very playable, with a nice string spacing. i dont slap a lot, but i had no problem doing it with this baby! i'll have the money for a new bass in a month or two, so it will probably be the 1005 OR an Ibanez BTB405...only problem is that i havent tried the Ibanez.

17. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Yep, I know. The reviewer mentioned that the scale length was 34" when it is in fact 35". Also, he mentioned a tighter string spacing, but went into no detail as to what it was.

I believe the TRB6II is known for its huge width neck, which is down to a wide spacing - 20mm I think. This suits me fine, I wouldn't mind it a little bit tighter but some 6ers are very tight indeed.

So the question is, what differences are there? The new TRB1006 looks the business. Would seem to have the same pickups, electronics, scale, string spacing?

I'm sure the reviewer mentioned an inferior bridge?

18. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    Actually IIRC the TRB-6II has the same string spacing as the TRB-5II , and that's a normal narrow spacing - at least the ones I played.

The TRB 6er that is known for its wide spacing is the Patitucci model (TRB-JP).

19. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Hey you guys that tried the TRB1005? What finish was the ones you tried? I want to see one of these in the Transparent red finish but I can't find any pics of one on the internet and nobody around here has one. I am debating either the natural or the red so tell me what you thought of the finish on the ones you guys played....PLEASE??

20. i played the black one. the finish was just amazing, though i think the red is the best.