Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Latin Bassists (Electric only): Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bassist4Life, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I am looking to hear some Latin style electric bass playing. I know that Latin is a broad description; that's okay. I really want to listen to some upbeat latin music that'll make you wanna dance.

Can you fellow TB'ers suggestion any Latin bassists?

I want to hear some slick fingerstyle grooves; some slap is okay. I wouldn't complain if the bass parts were considered to be a little "busy". ;)

Thank you in advance. :bassist:

Joe

2. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Leo Traversa

Oscar Cartaya

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Jimmy Haslip
    Lincoln Goines
    Oscar Stagnaro
    Ruben Rodriguez

4. Anthony Jackson
    Charles Flores

5. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    check out a venezuelan band called Guaco.

6. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    Sal Cuevas
    Andy Gonzalez
    Ruben Rodriguez
    Lincoln Goines

I'll also reccomend a book to you that will cover the styles of all the players mentioned in this thread:

Afro-Cuban Gooves for Bass and Drums by Lincoln Goines and Robby Ameen

7. Beat me to it Bernie :D

8. :D

Anthony's contribution to the Latin music scene can't be denied!

Also, I noticed that I put Charles Flores down and he's an URB player. Not sure if he plays electric or not. My mistake.

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Carlito Del Puerto
    Carlos Del Puerto

10. Rodriguez

Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    NYC
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    Thanks DWBass & chilliwilli for the shout! While I've done my share of non-Latin gigs (Roberta Flack, GW Jr. Bob Baldwin etc ...) what I do 75% of the time is Latin in some way or other. I'm heavily influenced by:
    Sal Cuevas
    Bobby Rodriguez
    Bobby Valentin
    Eddie "Gua Gua" Rivera
    Cachao
    Andy Gonzalez

Some Latinos playing other styles are:
    Francisco Centeno
    John Peña
    Abraham Laboriel

Easy,
    RR

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Thanks for the post Ruben!

12. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Thank you guys! Keep 'em coming. I've been going to Bn.com to check out these bassists and I like what I'm hearing. Some of these bassists have a ton of album credits!

I just checked out Guaco. Good stuff, but they don't give the name of the bassist(s). The CD is "La Historia 1980-2000". That's strange, because they almost always list every performer on a CD; even if they are only doing a hand clapping part.

I am having a lot of fun with this. Thanks!

Joe

13. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Something I've noticed...

The Latin bassists I've been listening to come through crystal clear in the mix. Is this true of most Latin music? I wish more music was like this. A lot of times the bass comes through like a fat, fuzzy bumblebee. Of course; this isn't a bad thing, but I do enjoy the clarity of the bass parts I've been hearing.

Joe

14. jerm

jerm

Jul 10, 2005
    Juan Alderete of the Mars Volta, check out TMV. They have Larry Harlow on their new album, the song is L'Via L'Viaquez

Great clave beats

15. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    Well alot of times its just percussion, vocals, piano, and bass. sometimes with a drumset if you are playing more modern interpretations. So you dont really have to cut through any guitars or anything alot of the time. And even if you have to play with various instruments you wonthave much trouble since most latin players are very disciplined and wont clutter up the song with licks and fills.

16. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    no problem!!

you and Sal Cuevas are my all time favorite latin bassists

17. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm not sure if I was listening to the right thing, but that music sounds like this picture looks:
    [​IMG]
    I'm not saying that it's bad. I'm just saying that it's something I wouldn't really get into now. I may have liked this when I was 14 and listening to my neighbor's King Diamond LP's.

I did listen to some Larry Harlow on a Fania All-Stars CD; that's closer to what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
    Joe

18. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

That's one of the coolest things of latin bass recordings: The lines are clearly distinguishable. I'm a true rock lover, but so many times I've complaint about many basslines that can be felt, but can't be heard because a wall of guitars buries the actual notes the bassist is playing. Roger Glover comes to mind. Most of the times I have a tough time trying to figure out the exact notes he plays. Chord changes are really easy to figure out, but most of the times I have to guess the actual notes played by him.

Two great latin bassists that haven't been mentioned (both from Cuba): Omar Hernández, who played with a band called "Cuarto Espacio". I know he will make your jaws drop. You can download an mp3 to hear him in action from this link:

http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=35WD18FCUPQP50K9QCUVG5SPZY

But this is mostly about virtousistic bass playing. If you want to hear a great latin groove by a superb player, check this mp3 by a band called "NG La Banda" with Feliciano Arango on bass. Here's the link:

http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=20E8GPMNLMJVN1LKZ12H1Z92FZ

And last but not least, the great Carlos Del Puerto with Irakere (cool bass solo here):

http://s12.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2DG8KIAT4TY6X35ODWM6TQ6TMY

Hope you enjoy these recordings. Happy listening!

Garret Graves likes this.
  19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    How're you supposed to dance if you can't hear the clave? :D

I'm curious as to why you're stipulating only electric, when so much latin/latin-jazz is done on upright. This seems like a pretty silly way of cutting your listening to "latin-lite."

20. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Alvaro,

Thank your for your post and the links to those tunes. I will check them out. I am eager to hear them.

Joe