Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Latin/Cuban Bass Lines

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jbennardo, Aug 9, 2005.

1. I rehearsed with a Latin/Fusion project last night. The mix is going to be about 1/2 standards and 1/2 Latin. In addition to a handful of Santana songs, we'll be doing some very ethnic, authentic Cuban rhythms; almost folky - like you'd have to be from Cuba.

Good stuff though. My issue is, I've heard and enjoyed this type of music but have never played it. It's got a very distinct feel. Does anyone have any advice on formulating, improvisation, various techniques regarding Latin music? Perhaps some bass players to study?

Thanks.

2. That's the sort of thing you really just need to read books about by people who were born with that music.

I had the good fortune of playing many times with a South American guitarist who really knew what he was talking about. Probably the best advice you can get is to always hear the clave in your head. Clave is the most important thing.

3. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    LISTEN TO SAL CUEVAS,THERE'S A BOOK BY LINCOLN GOINES(AFRO-CUBAN RYTHMS)SOMETHING LIKE THAT IS THE TITLE.ALSO CHECK OUT SOME SPYRO GYRA MUSIC,THEY HAVE SOME COOL LATIN JAZZ.ALSO A GOOD SOURCE IS TO LISTEN TO SOME OF THE WORK FROM CACHAO LOPEZ(CUBAN BASS PLAYER)