Latin drums Beat for practice

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Sakojazz, Mar 6, 2022.

1. Sakojazz

Sakojazz

Mar 6, 2022
    Hello everyone, here is a Latin rhythm that you can use to practice. Lines, patterns, licks. I usually use these types of tracks instead of putting on the metronome, but when I look for styles with more elaborate drums, such as jazz, latin... etc, I don't usually find tracks that sound really good.
    I have long wanted to open a YouTube channel dedicated to backing tracks, of different styles, which have always served me well to study, record phrases, practice improvisation or scales. But before I create full tracks I'm going to upload a few solo drum beats.
    Well I hope it works for you

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Cool thanks. I spent the morning putting together a bossa nova track I liked - the one on the Zoom B3n is great but no variation - the Beatbuddy has the variation I want but not the clave, so I took a chance and stuck the two together... (already added a bass part)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    that's really nice, actually, thanks again.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm old skool.
    I have bought my share of Latin/Afro-Cuban bass AND drum/percussion books. I would manually enter the various rhythms into a Boss Dr. Rhythm drum machine. Maybe that helps internalize more?
    Lincoln Goines & Robbie Ammeen's Funkifying The Clave book, cd, & video is top-notch learning material.

bholder likes this.
  5. Sakojazz

Sakojazz

Mar 6, 2022
    Yes, I have that book too. those songs are great. Robiee Ammeen is a genius

6. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Check out Drumgenius. An amazing collection of all types of rhythms.

7. I may be biased bc I own the app, but if you want a sort of 'salsa metronome' there's an app called Salsa Rhythm you can use. PM me and I can see about getting you a promo code in exchange for some honest feedback about features you might find useful. I already know that it does NOT sound as good as the OP's track - that upload sounds killer! Thanks for making it available, and please keep more coming!!!

I have to say that support for Latin rhythms and sounds is seriously disappointing in the digital music, tools, and apps arena. I remember buying some sound pack for some drum machine piece of hardware thing because I wanted backing tracks... the timbal sound was the heads... but only an open tone... ok, but what about the shells? Muted tone? A rim shot perhaps? Nothing, zip, zero, ***. I mean just the shells alone are like 90% of what I need want in a backing track when I'm practicing salsa.

And *** BeatBuddy, no clave? Seriously? Why can't these companies hire someone who has at least SEEN a Latin percussion section? Unbelievable. I'm gonna start making rock drum kit sound packs without a snare! Take THAT, suckahs!