Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Latin EUB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by TaySte_2000, Mar 2, 2003.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I may have the chance to play in a latin jazz band but the guy may want tme to switch from BG to UB or EUB which isn't to much of a problem for me since I have always wanted to do this. I ow the obvious problems with my weak BG playing hands and so on :D but I wondering what EUB is good for latin music but not limited to it like the baby bass by ampeg

Thanks in advance

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I am in alarge Latin band and bought my NS CR5 with this in mind. Gard, who posts around her and works in a US bass shop, also chose this for Latin music. He plays with Tito Puente Jr. and others.

But in fact, I have actually used it more on Jazz stuff and it is certainly versatile.

I think being in the UK you are going to find it difficult - people may recommend things but I have seen very, very, few EUBs in England.

The NS EUBs are generally the easiest to get and try - so the Bass Centre stockd them and usually has few - you could ask the Manchester one to get some in for you to try?

[​IMG]

3. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    i'm not sure about their availability in your neighborhood, but steve azola's eubs have a lot of latin musicians for endorsers. www.azola.com he has the contract for continuing manufacture of the baby bass, so you gotta think he knows a thing or two about latin-flavored eub.

sean p

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Nope - never seen a single Azola in England, not even played by a touring band! :eek:

5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Last I heard, the Azola's book was so filled with back-ordered domestic orders that it's not possible to order a new instrument in Europe.
    The only chance to get an Azola there is a second-hand instrument.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I somtimes use my Azola in salsa bands. It really has a nice vibe and sound for the latin stuff, and more punch and presence than the Baby bass. Fabulous fingerboard.

7. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Found an ad for an EUB for sale in the UK (South East):
    =========
    I have a Bassix headless EUB for sale. Built in carbon and fibreglass this is an amazing bass. Blonde in colour, headless, 3 piezo pickups, magnetic pickup, blender, on board eq, adjustable bridge. Looks and sounds superb. With softcase £795 ono contact djangostiger@hotmail.com
    ==========

8. also take a look at Mo Clifton basses (he's in blackheath, london)
    and Shuker basses (not tried them) www.shukerguitars.co.uk

i'v tried the mo clifton mini upright a number of times, and although its only 36" scale, its got a really fat double bass sound going on!

*Si*