Latin Jazz clinic today – Poncho Sanchez !!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Jan 31, 2004.

1. A local college had a clinic today with Grammy winning Poncho Sanchez and his latin jazz rhythm section. Poncho plays congas and sings, he was accompanied by a pianist, EUB player, timbalist, and a bongo / tres player.

Poncho explained what elements define some of the latin styles to include the cha cha and tumbao. He gave a bit of instruction on how conga/bongo drums are played in these styles. I find it fascinating as I love learning how the individual elements define musical style!!! Poncho said something to the effect of “It’s all about putting together the pieces of the puzzle, let’s look at each piece, & put them together so it makes sense and makes groove”. He also explained some of the many ways to hit a hand drum.

The EUB player and piano player stressed that, in some of latin jazz, the first note of the measure is played before the downbeat, to give the proper feel.

If anyone is interested in the elements of different musical styles such as latin jazz, I highly recommend clinics like this.

In love with music,
    bimp :)
  2. So are we all so wrapped up in Janet's boob, and imported Sadowsky's, that there is no room to discuss good music?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    See ya talkbass. You apparently have better things to discuss.
  3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    actually i know who he is. he is from the same town my parents are from, Laredo, Texas. best dam thing that happened to Laredo.

when i play trumpet gigs, i use a plastic shield that attached to the mic clip so i can hear myself. it has a poncho sanchez sticker on it.

i think mike jewels is a fan as well, he and i PM'ed about poncho a few weeks ago.
  4. Hey NJL, just saw your reply.

Have you heard Poncho's band live? 3 groovy percussionists going to town, along with bass, piano, and horns sounds pretty amazing. :cool:
  5. What's up, NJL?

Yes indeed! I just started getting into Poncho about a year ago, although I've known about him for years. His rhythm section is something to listen to! I think Poncho said he will only use acoustic instruments in his band. I love the PUM - pum of an upright bass playing a Latin groove. I can get my fretless to sound reasonably close. This album of his will get you out of your chair fast - if not, you may be dead! :D

I'll try to write more later, if not tomorrow.

Another guy I'm into is Cal Tjader. :cool:

Carry on Geese! :D

6. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    he's going to be in San Antonio this month, i was going to check him out, but i got booked

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Poncho is killer. I've seen him a couple times in Oakland.
    Latin bass lines are extremely difficult for me. They are also very fun. I'm working on the tumbao and cumbia (still).
  8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I have one of his live CDs. I love it. It's the one with "Watermelon Man" on it.

And now back to Janets BOOB
  9. OK, I said I'd be back, and here I am. :p

If you want to check out a good compilation set of varied Latin Jazz, check out the series, "The Colors Of Latin Jazz." There's about 10 of them in the set, I've got 6 of them. IMHO, this is the best one:

The best tracks to me are:

3) Poncho Sanchez - Papa Gato
    7) Cal Tjader - Linda Chicana - This is so mellow. I love slow Latin songs.
    9) Caribbean Jazz Project - Charanga Si, Si - The first 30 seconds sound like Return To Forever at half speed, then it gets down.

Also check out this CD by Paquito D' Rivera.

Listen to track 8, Retrato En Branco E Preto. Listen to how clear his clarinet is when it comes in at about the 40 second mark. So good. The whole CD is good.

And for another slow, delicious, dance-with-your-girlfriend-in-the-dark Latin groove, check out
    Check out track 4, Como Un Bolero. Smoooooth!
    I also like track 8, Todo Aquel Ayer.

You can also use their search function to see and hear all the albums by any of the artists above.

Now, if you ain't into Latin Jazz, you gotta leave the room! :D