Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Latin Jazz

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jan 6, 2003.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Stupidly now NOT living in a south american country any more, I've really got into latin jazz but I don't know many bands or decent latin bass players. I'd really like to hear your suggestions on decent recordings both electric and db. I'm quite interested in hearing Oscar Stagnaro after reading an article on him

Thanks in advance.

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Look no further than our very own Bruce Lindfield!!! www.sambossa.com (free plug for ya Bruce ;))

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ooer Missus - NO!

Oscar Stagnaro is great and he wrote the book on this stuff . So his "The Latin Bass Book" is a great resource and has CDs where you can hear him play!!

4. Bruce Lindfield

[​IMG]

The Latin Bass Book:
    A Practical Guide
    by Oscar Stagnaro (Bassist with Paquito D'Rivera, Professor at Berklee College) and
    Chuck Sher (author of "The Improviser's Bass Method")

The only comprehensive book ever published on how to play bass in authentic Afro-Cuban, Brazilian, Caribbean, Latin Jazz & South American styles.
    Over 250 pages of transcriptions of Oscar Stagnaro playing each exercise. Learn from the best!

Includes:3 Play-Along CDs to accompany each exercise, featuring world-class rhythm sections:

Oscar Stagnaro - bass

Rebeca Mauleón - piano

Orestes Vilató - percussion

Dario Eskenazi - piano

Mark Walker - drums and others

Download Sample Audio Tracks:

Track 1
    Track 20

at :

http://www.shermusic.com/latinbassbook.htm

5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Look for the Paquito D'Rivera Quintet - Live at the Blue Note. Great example of Oscar Stagnaro's work. I believe he is also on the new Dave Liebman CD, Latin Genesis. I don't have this one, but I have read some good reviews about it.

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Just ordered the Stagnaro book/CDs. Can't wait!

7. Here are some of my fav. picks:

1) Jerry Gonzalez - Fort Apache Band
    2) Michel Camilo
    3) Tito Puente
    4) Valdes (Chuco / Bebo)
    5) Paquito d' Rivera (already mentioned)
    6) Cachao
    7) Gonzalo Rubalcaba
    8) Pete Escovedo

Not all bass players, but all usually have great bassists on their recordings.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm with the X-man on Jerry Gonzalez & The Fort Apache Band. One of my favourite bands, period...any genre!

And they play both types of music-
    Latin and Jazz.
    Actually, they excel at both/either.

Andy G. lays down some nice, deep tumbaos.

BTW, is Latin Jazz that "big" in South America?

9. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    I love your signature Tayste....

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Ola, Tayste. Que tal? Hace mucho tiempo sin vivir en Venezuela, chamo? El pais esta pasando un rato malisimo ahora, no es verdad? Estoy preocupada para mis amigos en el pais, principalmente los musicos. Conoce la banda roquera de Gillman?

11. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Que??? alguien utilizando la palabra "chamo" en TB??? milagro.. jajaja

Yo conozco a Guillman, no solo a la banda sino a Paul, es buena gente.

Con respecto a la situacion social y politica: ni hablar, nos estamos cayendo a un precipicio del que dudo mucho podremos salir en un buen tiempo...... ojala todo empiece a mejorar pronto

12. Boplicity

Tambien conozco a Paul y a Churdy Toledo, el bajista de Gillman. Churdy fue mi instructor de bajo. Es muy buena gente.

Equal como usted, espero que el situacion en Venezuela va a mejorar en seguida. Ojala.

13. Bruce Lindfield

The singer in the band I play in, Monica, is from Rio in Brazil and she and her sister go back for holidays quite regularly.

Brazil has loads of styles of music - funk is very popular as is Reggae. The one thing that annoys Monica is that Merengue is very popular throughout South America and she finds it very boring - so she mentioned how she would be singing some Brazilian songs and the crowds would always be chanting for "Merengue, merengue" ! ;)

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    To be honest there isn't that much super cool latin jazz in venezuela in fact most of it is just plain awful.

Most of the stuff like bruce says is merengue and salsa but very boring and strict think jazz played by the school jazz band no real feeling just trying to get throught the standard and stuff.

What I tend to like is american and europeans take on latin music how they think ity should sound and how they try to emulate it. I'm really just trying to add a bit more to my reputoire, next one will be caribean, any recomendations for books on that.

Hey Bruce any plans to come up north toward the manchester area your band sounds wicked.

How come I never hear about Tb guys in the UK getting together.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Generally we stick to the South East of England - below London and we have had gigs in Sussex, Surrey and Kent - although we are planning to go to festivals in France!! ;)

The logistics of transporting a 14-piece band make it difficult to go too far.

There are less UK TBers - but I have met quite a few at the Bass Centre clinic with Steve Lawson and Michael Manring. CS , Howard K, Si - Bob, Wulf - a guy called Matt and even some other bass players I know who aren't on TB. I also met up with Adam Thrash_Jazz recently.

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You do

17. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    London is a trek though I was hoping for something in the manchester area or just in the north. Probably best this way so no one can hear how bad I am :D ;)

18. Bruce Lindfield

I never realised that Manchester was so close to Venezuela!! ;)

19. Boplicity

When I lived in Venezuela merengue, salsa, soca, musica folklorica and Latino pop, even some reggae. Among the young there was a fiercely loyal heavy metal contingent of fans. But Venezuelans, like North Americans presented a broad spectrum of musical tastes. In fact, I played in a blues band there!

There was enough admiration for foreign jazz artists to support concerts in Caracas by such artists as Al DeMeola and Chic Corea at the prestigious Teatro Teresa Careno.

A rap/merengue hybrid was just beginning to enjoy popularity among teens when I left.

TaySte, are you Venezuelan or were you assigned there for awhile like my husband was?

20. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    No i'm british I just lived there for 2 years the funny thing is anything good any one has ever done in venezuela its always in Caracas. Nothing cool happens in the other city I know this because my old band are leading the way for new music in venezuela and it sounds nothing revolutionary to us but to people in maracaibo its extreme. Quite funny really es como yo estaba en un otro tiempo cuando estaba en maracaibo.

Gracias por su tiempo