Latin night, I got a workout.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rufus.K, Jan 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I just sat in with 2 Latin players who are looking to start a band. One is a congero, and quite learned, older cat. The other is a trap drummer, and just incredible.
    My wife is an Afro-Cuban percussionist and we've played together, so I thought I could drop in with these two cats easily. Man, did I get a workout. I nailed the salsa, merengue, and cumbia. I got got my arse handed to me in 6/8 though. I don't know why I had such a hard time with it. They said I needed to practice to Puerto Rican 6/8, I haven't any idea what that means, so I guess that's my goal for the week.
    Anyone wanna define Puerto Rican 6/8 for me?
    I played a bunch of my stuff for them and they really dug it. They're not so versed in jazz and the fusions thereof that I played. That worked in my favor. The drummer was so busy yet quiet. I love it when a drummer can let go and fly, and still be quiet, I could hear the congas perfectly over him.
    The place has an Ampeg 610 and an Orange Terror Bass there, so I just used it. Really nice rig, better sounding than I was expecting.
    Anyone else play Latin rhythms with jazz fusion? I'd love some insight from those who do.

hrodbert696 and GKon like this.
  2. scrubjay

scrubjay

Mar 30, 2015
    New Jersey

Icemanaroonie likes this.
  3. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Hilarious

4. twinjet

twinjet Powered by GE90s; fueled with coffee. Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Latinized rhythm applied to 6/8, real neat stuff.

5. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I dig that. I'm searching for what the "Puerto Rican " 6/8 is. Ive never heard of that as an individual thing. How is that different from say "cuban" 6/8?
    The drummer and I are going to do an intensive on Wednesday and swap chops. I'd love to walk in there already clued in.

6. Leo Smith

Leo Smith Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Rufus, did you find out anything?

7. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    That sounds so rad, man! I have been a gigging percussionist for the last ten years in a big jazz-funk ensemble.... very undisciplined and experimental technique. I was briefly the bassist for an old school soul band that did some boogaloo covers like Subway Joe. I am terrible with 6/8. Do you think you can hang with these dudes?

8. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I actually haven't found out yet. We got a set list together and have been focusing on that. I'm gonna get together with the drummer and separately and work it out

9. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I can hang so far. I'm drowning in tunes to learn. "Asere Que Vola" is my current challenge, by Habana Abierto.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022