latin, tumbao(?), etc.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sometypeofplay, Oct 18, 2005.

1. I was hoping that you guys could give me a brief rundown of the different prevailing latin styles. Any recommendations on recordings that show "typical" playing of these styles would help tremendously. Thanks in advance for the info.
  2. Do a thread search. I'm pretty sure there have been a couple. :D
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...or buy a couple of books. Geez. ;)

Rebeca Mauleon has a "Salsa Guide Book"...very good intro, IMO.
    A couple of decent Latin bass books are Lincoln Goines' Funkifying The Clave, Carlos del Puerta's The Latin Bassist + Oscar Stagnaro's Latin bass book.
  4. thanks guys. I should have done that first anyway.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I hope you didn't our answers as snotty/ is such a deep topic.

If you're just starting out-
    Get the Clave + 'the pulse' burned into your memory.
    Hint: What really helped me was being able to tap the Clave with one hand while tapping out 'the pulse' with the other.

RH (3:2 Clave)
    l1__&__4_l__2_3___l or-

RH (2:3 Clave)

LH Pulse (Beats '1' and '3')

6/8 Clave-
    RH Clave

Or- Clave 'reversed'

LH (Pulse; on '1' and '4')

FME, getting these(as a start) in your vocabulary will help when you begin to play bass parts to the music.
    JUst my .02...
  6. JimK thanks for the info. It's a lot of variations of roots, fifths, and octaves, with chromatic passing notes right? Along with the rythm components obviously. Can you recommend any recordings, of modern electric players that really display this well. I'm really interested in learning the tumbao, and clave. (I apologize for any spelling errors.)
  7. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

Electric, look for Lincoln Goines or Oscar Cartaya in a latin context.

And for the real deal on upright...Master Sessions, Vol.1 and 2, by Israel 'Cachao' Lopez.
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Usually. ;)
    It is a rhythm/percussion thing. Any Latin musician(piano, horn, bass, guitar, even vocalist) seems to be of 'a percussionist-first' mentality.

In Carlos del Puerto's The True Cuban Bassist book/cds...a line is shown a basic Root-5; then Root-5-Octave; then w/ a 7th added, then a 10th, then some chromatic passing tones...IIRC.

DB99 mentioned Lincoln Goines...I second that & recommend his book/cds(with co-author Robbie Ammeen) Funkifying The Clave For Bass & Drums.
    Look for Goines & Ammeen on Dave Valetin's Live At The Blue Note or Kalahari(& other Valentin albums of that period).
    I'll second Oskar Cartaya, too. I haven't checked out his solo disc...I'm more familar with his work as Spyro Gyra's bassist.
    Carlos del Puerto in Irakere is another...Fania All-Stars(Rock-Soul-Jazz)

You can also hear electric guys like John Patitucci, Jimmy Haslip, Kim Stone use Latin elements in a Fusion-y vibe.

Jerry Gonzalez & The Fort Apache Band w/ Andy Gonzalez on the baby Ampeg.
    Great stuff(Crossroads, Cafe Moliendo, Fire Dance etc).
  9. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Look for some Carribean Jazz Project, Irakere, Ruben Blades, Maraca. All of these artists play the music you're looking for.
  10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Oscar Stagnaro's Latin Bass Book is excellent. It also comes with CD and the bass panned to one side so you can remove it with the balance control and have your own backing band. You can also just listen to the music with bass, it sounds great.
  11. Thanks for the info everyone, I've got an order in for the Lincoln Goines book now. I should be getting it early next week.