Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

laughter & health

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassed dude, Feb 2, 2004.

1. -this might result in a long post..need to vent-

I've seen this documentary on tv 'bout Patch Adams.. the real one not the movie.
    It got me thinking, as i'm a metal fan for ages.. can't remember what got me into it. It directed me to being 'down' and 'dark' 'depressive' .. you get the picture. I never really stood still by that fact. laughing and being just gay (happy) was a bit out of the question.
    Since i started playing bass and got to know TB i started to listen to other musical styles, blues, pop etc... and now 3 weeks ago my father died from cancer and complications with it.

I dont really know what caused it, but something 'clicked' in my head and although i still listen quite alot to metal (Cannibal Corpse, My Dying Bride, Type O Negative, Iron Maiden, Panterra, Motörhead etc) I feel like my view on life, and my state of mind changed. Now i find myself laughing alot and actually feeling better as if i've got more energy or something. Also i'm less stressed and i just don't take as many things from work to haert.

The documentary made me think 'bout it all and i guess it's true what they say. Laughing actually can heal/prevent you from getting ill. But (a question for metalheads out there) am i now in some way 'less metal', for being 'happy' and listening to a wider variety of music styles? Or am i just growing up/getting older?

Anyway, I'm glad to have vented in a way.. tnx for listening. errr.. reading that is

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Even in the most heated arguments(with girls even!) if somehow a clever joke or pun slips in there and both parties give up to laughter, the argument is quickly resolved.

it's funny how things don't seem as dire after a good laugh sometimes.

at least such is the case with me and what I've noticed.

I don't know if I agree with the music you listening to dictating your temperament, but I suppose it could affect your attitude, and definitely there are some types of music that wouldn't bode well in some settings or whatever.

A couple months ago I was watching a documentary on the effects of laughter, I don't know if it was the same one you saw, because I only tuned in for the later half, I know they mentioned patch adams, but that didn't seem to be the focus of the show, either way one segment that interested me a lot was this laughter healing therapy that a church congregation partook in after their service. essentially, for their little reception after the days preaching, they would convene in a nice sized room and someone would just start laughing.

now, another topic this show touched on is how laughter begets laughter, and when you see someone laugh, or even hear it, it prompts you to want to laugh as well, so the chain reaction of about half or more of the congregation(some 50-70 people) all laughing at once...well needless to say it's quite a sight to see, and hear!

but everyone seemed to be feeling great afterwards.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Laughing burns calories faster, as well.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    faster than what? pouting :p

5. :eek: WOW i'm losing weight... damn.. i'm skinny already

faster than gigging? :smug:

6. that was in the documentary as well; might not be all bout patch adams but i tuned in when they were talking bout him.
    Could be the same..