1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Laura Lee of Khruangbin

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by abarson, Mar 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest Gold Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    The most interesting part to me is that she's playing through a Fender Bassman, which I believe is a guitar amp (though I read that historically they started as bass amps). Isn't the usual TB advice "don't play bass through a guitar amp because you'll blow the speakers"?

Bikeguy57 likes this.
  2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    It’s a bass amp. I’ve owned many of that model and gigged with them. 4x10 and they are 50 watts tube. Plenty if you’re just a trio and that drummer doesn’t bash.

J-Mags and wintremute like this.
  3. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    On the Fender website
    '59 Bassman® LTD

in the section: Home/Guitar Amplifiers /Vintage & Pro Tube /'59 Bassman® LTD

"The modern edition of one of the greatest guitar amps ever made. The mighty 4x10" Bassman began life as a bass amp before guitar players discovered its sonic wonders and adopted it as their own. Prized by guitarists everywhere for more than half a century now, it lives on as a must-have guitar amp treasured for its pure sound, workhorse reliability, classic style and uncluttered ease of use. Countless guitar players..."

And now they have the Bassbreaker.
    Bassbreaker™ 15 Combo

Which is based on the Bassman, and is also in the guitar amp section.

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Those are nothing like her amp the bassman 10. It’s a sealed back and was made for bass. 59 is open back, hers is a 70s. Not sure if you’re not familiar with fender bass man’s or just another bashed of them but they in fact sound great for bass with the right cab.

5. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    I'm only somewhat familiar, which is why I was asking the questions. I do appreciate the clarification.

Fender Silverface Bassman 10 – Ampwares

6. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    She proves that it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

7. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    I’m really digging the latest album. Great lines to listen to and work through. I really struggle with deciphering some pentatonic playing for whatever reason....more listening...more practice. She’s a great player and definitely has the subtleties down.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  8. I just got into these guys a few weeks ago. Great stuff, cool vibe and really excelling bass-ing. I read an interview where she stated she started playing just before the group's formation and learned by listening to Jamerson and Serge Gainsbourg recordings. Can't go wrong there.

wintremute likes this.
  9. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    They're going to be in Vegas in November. I'm going.

Passinwind and G19Tony like this.
  10. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    August 10 bump...still digging them. Hoping to catch them in VT or MA.

Also, this....

wintremute likes this.
  11. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    I saw photos of Khruangbin on Instagram recently. Laura was using a rented black SVT setup, rather than the Bassman. Maybe it was a European show or something.

12. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    Just learned about this band today on TB today. They are awesome and I dig their sound!

wintremute likes this.
  13. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll be going too.

wintremute likes this.
  14. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I've played through one of those Bassman Tens, and also played guitar in a band where the bass player did. Great amps! Plenty of volume for their type of sound and lost

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  15. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Delightfully odd video.
    @G19Tony does this have anything to do with your earlier "arrow/Indian" comment? Totally disoriented now.

16. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    The point I was trying to make, was that you don't need a high end instrument to make cool music. It's the person playing.

wagdog likes this.
  17. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Just got the tickets. Need to take a vacation day, so I'm sure I'll be there.

wintremute likes this.
  18. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Dead right.