Laura Lee of Khruangbin

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by abarson, Mar 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Nick von Nick

Nick von Nick Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2014
    NY
    Oh man - I just got back from that show. They are beyond tight. Epic!

My wife and I traveled from Albany. We were next to a couple from Long Island and another fellow from Southern New Hampshire. I also ran into a gal who was in about 50% of my junior and senior classes in college (I officially meet someone I know in every town - six degrees of me, it seems).
    ~Nick von Nick

IMG_3203.jpg

Axstar, wintremute and ErikP.Bass like this.
  2. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    It was an AWESOME show!!! I drove up from Southern ME and it was totally worth it. Great sunset on the lake upon arriving and sunrise this morning as I headed back.

I opted to go see them in VT rather than opening for Leon in Boston but just noticed they’re going to be headlining at the Royale in December. Hmmm...

I was hoping to snag a set list or photo of one but wasn’t able to and unfortunately missed out on the Higher Ground poster too. Oh well...show was so good. They’re incredible.

wintremute likes this.
  3. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Adding this link for fun; if you’re looking for something to listen to:

AirKhruang

4. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Any idea how difficult these are to find used and the price point?

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i've owned about 5. very very common to find, fender bassman ten or fender bassman 10. good deal is 300-350, average price is 400-500, anything over 550 you're paying too much.

the earlier models (first channel only has bass, treble, volume, second has b m t vol) sound better than the later models (bass treble middle volume on the first channell and second) because the later models put in a ultra linear transformer to try and squeeze out an extra 10-20 watts of power. made them super clean sounding and less gain/breakup/drive/grind.

they have a master volume, i ran mine the channel volume all the way up, bass and treble at 1 or 2 (barely on, that's flat response) and then used the Master volume for my volume control. phat thick bassman tone. now that i'm saying this i miss my old one :(

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  6. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  7. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Music to vape to.

Mushroo and lermgalieu like this.
  8. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I could think of better things to put in my lungs than chemicals, to enhance listening to their music(for those of us that live in more enlightened states). And the best aspect of those better things is that there are other ways to ingest them. But the most unique aspect of the band that I’ve found is that their own music does plenty of ‘enhancement’.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    Axstar likes this.
  9. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Let me rephrase:

Music to be seen vaping to.

cornfarmer likes this.
  10. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Waiting for the show to start.

20181107_203719.jpg

G19Tony, ErikP.Bass and Mushroo like this.
  11. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    HaphAsSard likes this.
  12. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Waiting. .

20181107_214756.jpg

G19Tony and ErikP.Bass like this.
  13. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    20181107_221630.jpg

20181107_230907.jpg

G19Tony, ErikP.Bass and zbigniew like this.
  14. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    20181107_234725.jpg

G19Tony and ErikP.Bass like this.
  15. Michedelic

Aw, man, spoiler! I'm seeing them Sunday at the Wiltern Theater in LA, a gorgeous old place.

ErikP.Bass and wintremute like this.
  16. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    How did you get the setlist? That's pretty cool.

17. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    A few people waited after the show ended to ask the guys cleaning up if they could have the set-list. Before the clean-up guys came out, security was going along the barrier saying "shows over, step back". This dude next to me asked before I could, so the guy gave it to him (by Laura). I asked the security guard if he could give me the other one (by the guitarist), and he said there's way too many people asking, and he can't give it everyone. So I moved down to where a roadie was by the other list, but someone else beat me to it.

I got in the merchandise line to buy the poster, and the guy who got the 1st list was there, and let me take a picture. That's his list.

After I take the pic, I see Geoffrey off to the side, so I go and talk to him (cool dude with good info - that's another post).

After talking with him for awhile, I get back in line, so I'm basically one of the last people in the room. The original security guard came up and slipped me a folded piece of paper...the drummer's set-list!

So I got one, but the one in the pic isn't mine.

18. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    From another mention on TB that should be the Will Van Horn trio, n'est-ce pas?

If a quick YooToobe search is any indication,

^here Geoffrey Muller applies a peculiar plucking style of alternating thumb+index on the same string, which is known in banjodom as "(Don) Reno style", on solo bass. (Other videos feature him on 5-string banjo, so there.)
    A short video already shows he's a good player. Not primarily a jazzman I'd venture to guess, but knows his walking way around a standard.

wintremute likes this.
  19. Michedelic

Astounding show last night in L.A. at a great old Art Deco 2,300 seater; they just keep getting better. Hopefully success won’t spoil them. But the real treat was opener Will Van Horne, a pedal steel player who avoids all the country cliches. Somewhat like B.J. Cole from Britain. Very jazzy in spots, and yeah, that Mueller guy is something on bass. Very similar bands—-both trios, both instrumental, lots of space. He sat in with the K’s during the encore; if ever they felt that they’ve gotten everything they could from the trio format, I could see him joining. Not your grandma’s little ol’ band from Texas out of Houston, but I swear they starting riffing on something that sounded like the end of “I’m Bad, I’m Nationwide”. There are those who bemoan the lack of ‘guitar heroes’ these days, but Mark Speer’s the dude.
    (Edited for misspelled words; shame on me, I DID make it past 6th grade:woot:).

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    ErikP.Bass and wintremute like this.
  20. FenderBassist

FenderBassist

Oct 28, 2005
    Was at the November 6th show at the Van Buren in Phoenix. both bands very very enjoyable.

wintremute likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021