Laura Lee of Khruangbin

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by abarson, Mar 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    yes agreed. i'm in 2 kinda ways about it. one either be all ambient and don't say word just oooo aa or something and have it be about the tone/sound/ambience. or, say words and have it be about the words. seems like they are doing a half in half out of either of those and i can't understand what their saying but i'm not sure if they want me to understand and now i'm confused. also they could just get another band member as a vocalist if that's really something they want, they are a 3 piece, the money is still good with only 4 members.

2. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Eric Krasno’s podcast is pretty great in and of itself, but just got hip to it. This is worth listening to: Laura Lee (Khruangbin) from Eric Krasno Plus One

Leo Smith and haggardPHUNK like this.
  3. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    I haven't heard all the songs on their new album but the 2 or 3 I have heard, they are using guest vocals for some of their songs. Texas Sun with Leon Bridges is an awesome song!

4. I've been listening to Khruanbin quite a bit and Laura Lee is greatly influencing what I want to be doing on bass. Much respect.

5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

It’s not unlike the Cocteau Twins or what Lisa Gerrard does with Dead Can Dance. Remember when Enya was a big deal? Then there is Ella and the scat vocal tradition. Go back into the mists of time and check out the Swingle Singers. Plenty of Jon Anderson’s Yes lyrics were gibberish; he has often stated that words were chosen for their phonic/sonic qualities over any ‘meaning’.
    As for them, what would be the point of adding a vocalist? It would take away from what they are, their uniqueness. If they were to add anyone, the perfect choice would be spacey steel player Will Van Horn, a buddy of their’s from Houston who has worked with them before...

Their whole thing is about creating moods.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    wintremute and SLIV like this.
  6. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Khruangbin is great. That is all

ErikP.Bass, SLIV and Beersurgeon like this.
  7. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Leo Smith, Pet Sounds and wintremute like this.
  8. Good article until the very end, when they list her bass as a "Fender SX Jazz Bass."

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  9. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    @Pet Sounds Good catch!!! I completely missed that.

10. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

To whom it may concern...short tour in the fall. A bunch of dates in Austin, and then Miami, LA, SF. Tix for The Greek in LA(the one I’ll be going to)on sale tomorrow, the pre-sale shut down immediately.

Leo Smith, ErikP.Bass and wintremute like this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021