1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Laurel 232

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by sloppysubs, Mar 16, 2013.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Hey everyone,

I am pretty much brand new to DB and I bought one up the other day in Nashville at The Old Time Pickin' Parlor from Richie Owens.

Great bass, super awesome and sounds amazing. Solid and sturdy... all good things.

Am/was being told this bass was at one time the property of the dude from Stray Cats. That's cool and all but here is the bit I am trying to sort out: I am constantly being told by people that this DB is something near 100 (give or take) years old.

I cannot find a SN anywhere on the bass, the sticker inside says made by Laurel in German for Wilhelm (sp?) and Songs in Chicago.

Have done as much research as I can and at least on these forums and others, the 232 is the model number not the SN. And all the 232's I see on here are 80's basses.

So without the SN, where/how can I verify the age of the bass? Help please.

2. Post photos and we'll do our best. It's probably from the '50s or '60s.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I have no idea how to post pictures on here, I'd be more than happy to e-mail many of them to anyone for your perusal and assistance.

If anyone wants to e-mail me first; kchandlermusic@gmail.com.

Just make the subject LAUREL DB

Thanks!

4. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi Zongeek,

Congrats on your purchase, and here's hoping you have a long relationship with the double bass.

You might want to check that label again. It probably says something like "Imported by Wm. Lewis and Sons, Chicago".

They, and others like Juzek, were importers who brought in generic (but often decent quality) German basses and put their own labels in. I think the Laurel was a plywood model, and the Bottesini was a fully carved instrument.

Pics always help! You can post them by looking below the text box when you're posting, right where it says 'Additional Options' and 'Manage Attachments' (ie, pics).

Cheers,

Paul (Eh_train)

5. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
  6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    @ ctxbass: Yeah, it is very much like the one in that picture. A little darker and a little more worn, but virtually the same.

Wayne has been helping me a ton getting this figured out.

Definitely plywood.

And yes, @eh_train, the label says what you have mentioned.

I think I found the SN when taking pictures for Wayne by the sound post and F hole.

IF it is the SN then it is: 97065

Thanks everyone