Laurence Cottle - massively underated

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Hey, I went to see Charlie Watts at Ronnie Scott's in London last night and to my delight Mr Laurence Cottle was on the support band with Ian Thomas on drums and Gareth Williams on piano - and i just wanted to put in a good word or two for Cottle as I don't know how many of you transatlantic dudes and dudettes have heard of him? He is one of the best electric jazz bassists on the planet and remains something of an obscure session guy - but if you ever get a chance to see him live do because his comping, walking bass lines etc are truly astonishing - this man is deep - his solos can be alittle samey but the man just oozes years of experience and his technique and knowledge of the bass (he always plays a five string, both fretted and fretless) is just staggering.

Certainly a more old skool jazzer - ie Jaco influenced - he has chops galore.

Also it was veritable drum summit with not only C Watts in the house, but Steve White (Paul Weller), Mark Mondesir and the awesome Peter Erskine in the house, the latter had to be approached and congratulated on his sizable contribution to my musical life!

Check this page on Laurence's website for some streamed tracks - Basstorius and Play It With Style being the most fruity!
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I first read about him in Bert Gerecht's (Hotwire) Basstalk book, and later heard him on one of the Basstalk samplers - awesome player.
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    He was hanging around N.Y. & L.A. in the 80's. He had a killer band called the Fents.....pure fusion. I also have a Laurence Cottle solo album I got from Audiophile Imports about ten years ago, it smokes!!!
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I have that Fents' album. Adam Holzman(of Miles' '80s band) plays keys.
    They have tunes named "I Don't Want My MTV", "50 Ways To Skin A Yak", etc.