1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lauzon P-Bass/Strat Pickup - full review

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Laurent, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Lauzon P-Bass/Strat Pickup a review.

Etienne Lauzon is a pickup maker I discovered on Talkbass. Thanks to Bassman74 for posting on Lauzon pickups and for making me aware of this pickup builder. He is based in Canada near Montreal and has 15 years of experience with pickups. He uses the same magnetizer than Leo Fender it the early days of the company.

The P-Bass/Strat is a tall P bass pickup wound with 42 gauge wire with Alnico V magnets. The pickup is taller than a regular P bass pickup and was inspired from a strat pickup.

There are several ways to offer more tone or more output: using a different magnet (DiMarzio P and Bill Lawrence use ceramic magnets). Overwounding the pickup. Using larger magnet poles (standard is 4.75mm), Fralin uses 5mm, Aguilar hot uses 6mm and SD Quarter Pounder use 6.35mm (a quarter of an inch – hence the name Quarter Pounders). It is also possible to use taller bobbins and this is what Lauzon is doing here. The Curtis Novak Charlie Christian pickup also uses the same idea. Some pickup makers will also use a combination of two techniques: larger magnet poles and overwound for example.

This pickup was developed in conjunction with a luthier and the goal was to remove the softness, the laid back character of the P bass pickup. The pickup has the overall tone print of a P bass pickup but it’s tighter in the bass frequencies and it has more overall presence. It is perfectly balanced between the different frequencies and it is also perfectly balanced from string to string. The attack of note seems to have more definition than a regular pickup. There is a great fundamental to overtones ratio and balance. The pickup manages to sound very vintage. It never sounds like a ceramic pickup (and it's not). It reminds me of the Lollar P pickup for its overall tone with the broader tonal range and the dynamic character of a Bill Laurence P46 (a great ceramic pickup). Playing this pickup lets you hear music differently and the pickup is so fast at translating my playing that it gives me the impression of reading my musical thoughts. Fast transient is the technical term for this.

Airy highs with lots of transparency, great defined mids, huge bass without ever getting muddy or over the top. It’s the one pickup that can do it all! I find it usable throughout its range which is not always the case for pickups with extended range.

In the mix this pickup performs like a champ. It really shines because of its presence, dynamic and tonal range but it allows you to keep things in the vintage tonal camp. The pickup seems to love tubes; it shined with the SVT/Berg NV610 combo. It also did well with my Ashdown Little Bastard/Markbass New York 115 rig. Even in front of the Markbass F500 which is a fast, hard hitting amp the pickup sounded great.

Priced around $90 (shipped to CA) it delivers a huge amount of value and tone compared to it competitor. You get a unique design assembled one at a time by hand by Etienne Lauzon.

A few people have started using this pickup since Bassman74 and I started talking about it.
    I recommend it warmly. Note I am not endorsed by Lauzon. When I find an exceptional pickup I have to share the wealth since pickups are so important to bass tone.
    IMG_1698.JPG

The Lauzon P-Bass/strat is on the right. Note the taller bobbin. Despite the size it fits in a p bass without any modification needed.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    bassvirtuoso, Snaxster and jwindham like this.
  2. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    Thanks for finally doing a write up on this pickup, I've been watching your posts closely that have had references to this. I might have to get one now and compare it to my Curtis Novak PB-90, which is in the same realm of his Charlie Christian but with a mid bump instead of scoop.

DirtyDuke likes this.
  3. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    You are most welcome!
    Now I am going to be wanting to try the Charlie Christian even more; it's been on my list for some time but I've been slowed down by the cost. I am hoping it will show up in the classified but it rarely does. People owning these seem to hang on to them!

4. bassvirtuoso

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    If it's anything like my PB-90 of his, I can see why, I won't part with mine and two of my basses currently have it installed.

5. dodlaor

dodlaor

Apr 29, 2015
    thanks for a great review
    i am interested in this pickup, would you please be able to send some sound files? or maybe direct me to some? because i couldnt find any out there
    thanks

6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Why is it marked "Lauzon USA" if it was made in Quebec by a Canadian?

7. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Country of destination? My guess is as good as yours.

8. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    There is no substitute for a search. It pops as the second link when you do a search under Lauzon. I ain't a baby sitter.
    A comparative review: Dimarzio DP122 / Lauzon P with soundclip | TalkBass.com

9. dodlaor

dodlaor

Apr 29, 2015
    thanks laurent. i have a 2011 fender pbass with alder/rosewood. im looking to replace the stock pickups. i am looking for higher output with a clear and punchy tone but without being too harsh and still to keep a vintage tone with depth. also without a lot of grit. something like the fralins but less harsh on the high mids.
    thanks

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  10. bassvirtuoso

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    These sound pretty close to what you want. I made a sound clip that I can share in a week or so.

11. dodlaor

dodlaor

Apr 29, 2015
    you mean the lauzon ?
    please upload sounds if you have them. thanks!

12. dodlaor

dodlaor

Apr 29, 2015
    also, how are they compared to the aguilars 4p 60 ?

13. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello Laurent. FYI, in my review of a similar pickup by a different maker, I linked to your review here.

14. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    The Aguilar AP 60 is a very pretty pickup, I am currently running it in one of my basses.
    The Lauzon and Aguilar are quite different; the Lauzon has more tone (across the spectrum but also more highs and lows) and more output. The Aguilar is a more vintage and warmer.

Again both a are terrific and it boils down to matching them to your ears, your bass and your strings.

15. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    Reviving an old thread:
    How does the Lauzon Strat/P compare to an Arcane 65 Experience?

Aroneng likes this.
  16. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    The Arcane has more of a vintage feel. The Lauzon is more like turbo charged P pickup with more of everything. I still uses both of these pickups, they are in two different basses.

sheltjo6 likes this.
  17. I have the first P-Strat that Étienne Lauzon made after a longue phone conversation with him.I still love this pickup,when we talk together that was for my passive fretless .When laurent said,is more like turbo charged P pickup with more of everything.That's what I'm looking for my fretless.This pickup as a large response over the spectrum and really sensible for the right hand many positions techniques i use in a fretless mind.Of course i'm sure it' is good for a fretted bass.But Etienne can do also one of the most replicate of a vintage P-bass pickup if is what you looking for.