Lava Cable sets: Tightrope vs. Pedal Board Kit

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by el murdoque, Apr 14, 2016.

1. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Can anyone elaborate if there is a difference between the Lava Tightrope Kit and the Lava Pedal Board Kit.
    Apart from the tightrope Kit being twenty bucks cheaper i can see none. The Website lists the Solderfree cables and the tightrope ones, but they convinently forgot to mention where the differences are.

2. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
  3. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Well, the website says not much about differences. One is great, the other even greater :)

4. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    ...but i'll give the Tightrope a shot. i'll see how it compares to my assorted mix of George L's, EBS and Sommer cables.

5. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    I had two sets of tightrope kits and never liked them. They are prone to failure. With their solid core design and core size, any 90 degree angle is a failure waiting to happen. Their normal model is much more reliable. Mine would fail over time without any movement.

6. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I try not to be that guy that throws out choices you weren't asking about, but I've put together Lava's, George L's, and these->http://btpa.com/Best-Tronics-Solderless-Kit.html<-. The BTPA kit was, by far, the easiest and the fastest to assemble. Out of the 25+ cables I made, I only had to redo one. I haven't had them long enough to have a real idea about durability, but the sound quality is great and they're a bit less expensive than any of the other solderless kits out there. I saw that Lava was introducing a similar, set screw-type kit(I think it's called the Piston plug?), and then you've got the Disaster Area DisasterPlugs, which are also similar.

Just some food for thought...

nshuman likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022