1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lava Cable Solderless Pedal Kit $59 @ Hello Music

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by bobbybass85, Jun 27, 2012.

1. bobbybass85

bobbybass85

Dec 19, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I just popped on Hellomusic.com and was browsing through, they've got the regular size right angle kit (10 connectors, 10 feet of cable, cable stripper tool) for $59. They're usually $89 new.

Also it was my first purchase so I was able to use the HM20NEW coupon code for $20 off a purchase of $100 or more... so I bought 2. Total price shipped for 2 was $110 (that's an Andrew Jackson more than 1 set new at regular price!)

Enjoy!

2. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix When the music's over, turn out the lights... Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    I wonder if it's the blue or black cable? I've tried to put together George L cables before and couldn't do it, even as anal as I am. I've watched the video for those and for the Lava ones and not sure if I would have any better luck. I've read reviews of the Lavas where people had the same problem. Not sure if I should pull the trigger.

3. bobbybass85

bobbybass85

Dec 19, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I wondered the same thing, but I've got some left over black cable from the last pack I bought. Either way I won't mind the mix of colors.

The worship leader I play with uses the George L's and is looking at possibly switching over. He's discovered with the George L's that if you screw the cap on too tight you'll ruin the ground connection and have a bum cable. He said "once you get the feel of how tight to screw them on it's fine." My problem is I'm not very proficient at these sort of things, and at $90 for a set I didn't want to go through a lot of trial and error.

I did have a little learning curve with the Lava's i bought previously, but after the first cable they ended up being easy and reliable for me. I haven't had to strip the inner cable part that one of the videos talks about being conductive, and I haven't had any problems. Also the tool that comes with the Lava makes stripping pretty idiot proof.

4. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I would really like to make some 3" cables, but I wonder if that's too short to where it places stress on the ends. It should work, but I'd like to hear from someone who has made short ones.

5. bobbybass85

bobbybass85

Dec 19, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'll try to post some pictures of the ones I made when I get home tonight, I can't imagine they are much longer than that. I've also thought of buying a couple straight connectors to make some short cables instead of using those solid connectors like the picture here. I don't like that when I use these solid connectors that I'm pulling 2 or 3 pedals off at a time because there's no give. It makes me feel like I'm ripping apart the inner workings of the pedals. (probably just paranoia but hey..)

Attached Files:

6. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    I hear ya. I used one of those that you have pictured and thought the same thing. Look forward to the pics.

7. bobbybass85

bobbybass85

Dec 19, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    So I can't get the photos off the camera, but I did measure them last night and the one's I made are almost 3.5" long. They have no problems fitting between pedals on a tight board. The cable is pretty flexible, but the core is pretty strong. It's a good combo

8. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    OK. Sounds like it's not an issue. I may spring for this Lava special before it's gone. Thanks Bobby.

9. bobbybass85

bobbybass85

Dec 19, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    No problem! Enjoy

10. bobbybass85

bobbybass85

Dec 19, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Just recieved my order, it is in fact the blue ELC cable

11. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Ok, cool. I still haven't ordered. I bought a used Boss TR-2 off Craigslist instead. Oh yeah, and a DOD bass flanger. I'll see of I can scrape up enough to buy the cables.

Let us know how your cable assembly goes.

12. bobbybass85

bobbybass85

Dec 19, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Well I definitely over-bought. I only needed 3 more cables, and I bought enough to make 10 haha. I'll use them eventually I'm sure.

Made the 3 tonight. All are clean and sound great.

Enjoy the flanger, I've been wanting to pickup a flanger for a while now.

13. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    That sounds like me. I really only need 3 or 4 very short ones.

Yeah, been wanting a flanger and tremolo for awhile too. The DOD brings out tons of harmonics.

14. bobbybass85

bobbybass85

Dec 19, 2005
    Nashville, TN