Lawn care question.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike M., Mar 20, 2011.

1. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Spring is right around the corner and wow....I've got one mess of a lawn to deal with this year. Late last summer and fall the moles, racoons and skunks tore my lawn up something fierce, both front and back yards. I've had semi-bad years before with these pest's, but last year was the worst ever. Fact is the moles are out already. Yesterday was the first time that I took a walk in my backyard since the snow melted and I could feel thier tunnels all over under my feet. It's bad.

I know they're all looking for grubs and obviously I've got to get rid of them. But I'm leary of putting harsh chemicals down because our water comes from wells. I've been holding off but this year I've got to do something.

Any recommendations for killing the grubs without reaking havoc on our water supply?

Thanks.

2. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    What about that garlic spray stuff? Commercial or "homemade" (below, from the web):

Garlic Oil Spray

Organic gardeners have long relied on garlic as part of their pest-fighting arsenal. Garlic contains sulfur, which, besides being toxic to pests, is also an antibacterial and antifungal agent. The dish soap in this mixture also breaks down the bodies of soft-bodied pests, such as aphids.

What You'll Need:

Three to four cloves of garlic
    Mineral oil
    Strainer or cheesecloth
    Liquid dish soap
    Water
    Spray bottle
    To make garlic oil spray, mince or finely chop three to four cloves of garlic, and add them to two teaspoons of mineral oil. Let this mixture sit for 24 hours. Strain out the garlic pieces, and add the remaining liquid to one pint of water. Add one teaspoon of liquid dish soap. This mixture can be stored and diluted as needed. When you need to spray, use two tablespoons of the mixture added to one pint of water in a spray bottle.

To use your garlic oil spray, first test by spraying an inconspicuous part of the plant to see if your mixture harms it at all. If there are no signs of yellowing or other leaf damage after a day or two, it is safe to use. If there is leaf damage, dilute the mixture with more water and try the test again. Once you have determined that it won't harm your plant, spray the entire plant, paying special attention to the undersides of leaves.

Warning: Garlic oil is a non-selective insecticide, which means that it will kill beneficial insects (such as lady bugs, who are natural predators of aphids) just as easily as it kills the bad guys. It's best to keep as many beneficials around as possible. This spray should only be used if you haven't seen any beneficial bugs in your garden. The tomato leaf recipe, above, won't harm beneficials, so you should use that if you're lucky enough to have some beneficials in your garden.

These sprays are easy to use, inexpensive, and effective. As you can see, even organic home remedies require care and attention to their effects. In general, use each spray as little as possible, and use it responsibly. You'll win the battle against aphids, and still have a healthy garden after they're gone.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Mothballs. Take a broom handle or a 1/2 inch drive extension and poke a hole in the ground 3 to 4 inches deep. Put two or three mothballs in the hole and pinch it shut. Do this every four to five feet and it should rid you of your mole problem.

4. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Garlic and mothballs!! Yow....that'll drive 'em away!! Thanks so far for the tips. Well worth checking into.

Anybody else?

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021