Lawn Care

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Nothing

2 vote(s)
  2. Cut and water it

9 vote(s)
  3. Try to have a pretty nice looking yard each year

7 vote(s)
  4. Out there everyday with a ruler, scissors, singing to it

0 vote(s)
  1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    How many of you are involved with your lawn? I mean, besides cutting it and watering, how many fertalize, airate (sp), etc...

What do you do? Any tips? :)
  2. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I voted "cut it and water it" because my parents make me(the few times that I'm home from college). I think it's a waste of time, because my dad took an air raider and tore it up when I was two. He never fixed it. So it's all lumpy with patches of rocks and weeds everywhere...I don't see the point. When I get a house I'm going to take care of my lawn:)
  3. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    My lawn is only really cut and watered to be honest. The worms and ants keep it clean for me ;)
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Some of my neighbors have lawns you could bounce a quarter off of. Not mine though.
    I am not a lawn nazi.
  5. Fertilize, weed control. Always have a sharp blade on the mower, nice weedeater/edger. I try to mow 2-3 times a week. Plant flowers in the spring, keep the trees taken care of.

I used to be into turf managment, so just kinda kept most of it from that job.
  6. The option i would have picked if it was on the poll would be: "Pfftt...who needs a lawn when you have a yard full of carrots"
  7. I had my lawn looking pretty good earlier this year and then the moles came. Within two weeks there were over twenty mole hills and they happen mostly when I watered the lawn so I gave up… and now the lawn’s dead and I don’t have a mole problem. Actually one of my cats caught a couple of them but I was still having problems. I am planning on re-seeding and fertilizing in the fall so I can try it again next year.
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

9. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Just like my dad, I'm a living Hank Hill when it comes to lawns. However, I pay professionals to handle it but watch them carefully for my enjoyment.
  10. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I would rather shove an umbrella up my bum, open it and pull it out. I hate lawn care. I am grateful there are people that like to get paid to do it.

11. Well, I wouldn't go so far to say that it's enjoyable gainful employment. I spend my summers as a groundskeeper for a school district, and while the freedom and being outdoors all day is infinitely cool, it's the days of laying sod in 90 degree heat that makes me grateful to be attending college.
  12. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I own a house on 1/2 acre. I mow once a week, more in the spring. I fertilize 3-4 times a year. I have dethached, and use lime, grass seed, and weed killer as needed. I do not water much, because on a large yard you really need an in ground sprinkler system to water effectively, and they are very expensive. Your lawn, like your bass playing, will only be as good as the time and effort you put into it.
  13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Inground sprinkling systems aren't that bad if you do the labor yourself. I just added a new sprinkler on one of my zones today, and it took about an hour total. Not too bad. You could put in inground in a weekend or so, if you had a couple of guys to do it.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I pay other people to worry about my lawn. I don't know exactly what they do, but it always looks pretty good.
  15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I mow and weedeat/edge once a week, weather and time permitting. Watering has not been an issue this summer, as it pretty much rains every #$^#^% day here in Florida in the summer. The bigger issue is waiting for a time that the yard is not so waterlogged my mower won't sink :meh:. Juggling this with 50 hour work weeks and two bands can be exciting....

I wish I could afford to pay someone else to worry about it, like Doc Mike & Munji...must be nice to be rich! ;)
  16. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'll do it for you! Fly me from Michigan to Florida (your tab), and I'd gladly do what you do for, say, $20/service. :D

Ok, next question.

Riding lawnmower or walkbehind?