1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Lawsuit Gibson Ripper/Grabber copy...check this out!!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by MasterBass!, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterBass!

MasterBass! Reaching new Highs in Lows!! Supporting Member

Hi all....this is a Gibson Ripper / Grabber "Lawsuit Era" copy marketed under the Ventura name. My minimal research tells me that it was probably built at the famed Matsumoku plant in Japan in the early-mid 1970's...although I obviously can't quite confirm that the date is correct, nor can I confirm that its all original..but it looks pretty much so. Because I have zero background...this one is being sold as-is, for what it is. Ventura guitars actually seem to be in demand right now. The body has gorgeous grain, and the finish is still very nice.

Quick story: I bought this at a real estate auction. It was found after being stored under a bed in a case for many years, and not discovered until the homeowner moved the bed. She said it was her previous husband's guitar....who left her almost 30 years ago.

Anyway...its in pretty amazing shape. There is nearly no wear on the frets or the gloss maple neck. I gave the truss rod 1/4 turn and the action lowered beautifully. It turns smoothly like new in both directions, and I even got the orig truss rod tool with it. Action is low and very nice. The nut appears to be in between a Precision and Jazz Bass size...very comfortable, and the neck feels like P bass. The strings looked almost like they may have still been the original ones...so I plopped on a new set of D'adderio XL 105's. It appears to have the original deep tortise pickguard too. Its a string-thru body but its strung topside. The bridge sort of doesn't look quite original, but it sure works fine.

It has a pair of Humbuckers which sound wonderful. Unlike Gibson's (Mudbuckers) these have great treble response and presence...along with HUUUGE bottom end!! They are very quiet and this bass sounds more like a Musicman Stingray than anything....VERY POWERFUL. The 3-way toggle gives 3 VERY disticntively different sounds. The pots seem to work well and are smooth too.

There is very little wear on this bass, and has just a few marks that keep it from being called mint. Its very clean and still very glossy. The tuners are open gear, and work smoothly and accurate.

Price is $475 local...shipping additiional. I may take a 4-string bass as a partial trade. I have lots more pics if you'd like to see them...Drop me a PM with your email.

2. MasterBass!

Couple more:

3. MasterBass!

Two more pics:

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Did you add the bridge guard? Can we get a pic of the original bridge?

5. Nice looking Grabber copy. It to me looks like there are 2 slabs of wood glued together in the assembly of this bass. There looks to be a line all the way around the guitar that indicates this. Am I out to lunch Denny? Thankyou very much.

6. MasterBass!

Nope...its just as I got it. Here is the best pic I can get you!!

7. pharaohamps

pharaohamps Commercial User

May 30, 2006
    Garner, NC
    Owner, Disaster Area Designs / Alexander Pedals
    It's a "pancake" style, like a lot of Gibsons were during this era. My Ripper is alder and doesn't have the seam but there may be some maple Rippers or L6S's made like this. I'd really like to pick this one up, we'll see how it goes :)

8. roadrunner

roadrunner Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2004
    New Mexico, USA
    weight?

9. MasterBass!

You want to take me out to lunch????? :ninja: I'm game!!!

But seriously folks............Yes...it looks like a Gibson "pancake" design......has the line around it!

10. MasterBass!

Put it on my bath scale a few times.....one time it says 9.6, the next time it says 9.8.

So...its somewhere in there....you get the picture!!:D

11. hey whats up dude. if this is still available would you be able to send me some pics? my email is coard.phillip@gmail.com . thanks!

12. MasterBass!

It was sold Bro, sorry, I forgot to close the thread.

Denny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.