Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dave, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Alright, so Im coming out of my school today (checked out because of PSAT's) and I come over this enourmous hill in the middle of the street and depending on how you go over it (direction), it can look like youre speeding really bad. So of course a cop pulls me over (first time) and says I was going 45!?!? What the heck.

Of course this was just his "estimate," no radar gun used. He says it looked like I became "almost airborn." Now to me, this seems like crap. For one thing, I was going 20-25 mph, and unless you go about 5 over the hill (not kidding) it looks really bad because its like a drop off on the other side. He says I was driving recklessly and proceeds to give me a citation.

He says that I was going 45 in a private area, a parking lot, even though the "offense" took place in the middle of the intersection. I was going 25.

Now, the school has been getting complaints of people that are speeding through that area regularly, but I just found out when the cop told me. Is he just trying to get my/other people's attention about this, or does he actually has a case against me?

I have a friend whose dad is an attorney and will help me out on this, havent talked with him yet though. So has anyone had any experience with this type of thing? I feel like there isnt enough on me to actually convict me of reckless driving, but I may be wrong, as I said, Ive never been pulled before in 2 years of driving.

Anyone got anything?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I don't believe it holds any water without a gun or speed measurement device of sorts.
  3. That would be pretty cool. Thats what Ive been thinking. I think he was just getting our (the schools) attention to the problem. Still gotta talk to an attorney, so we'll find out what the official ruling should be. I still have to go to court, so thats going to be annoying. Oh well.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, nothing worse than missing class and your only exlination being "court"
  5. Yeah, people always think the worst of stuff like that. Last year I got rear-ended by a drunk woman and had to go to court to testify against her, and I had people asking me how much I was speeding or who did I hit. :scowl:
  6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I can't imagine how he'd prosecute you... it's just your word against his.
  7. That is why I have been thinking, but if it comes down to that, isn't a judge going to believe a cop over me?
  8. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Did you get a ticket or a warning?
  9. I got a "citation." I guess that means its a ticket? It has a court date and other crap on it.
  10. Burden of proof lies on the accuser - fight it.
  11. Im going to. Supposedly, my friend's dad is really good with this kind of stuff, so Ill be going to have him be my attorney.
  12. *UPDATE*

Just got off the phone with my attorney. Gonna get off with $135 court costs, and NO POINTS!!!!!

Although, I do feel kinda bad. Hes trying to do it for free for me since Im friends with his daughter (not girlfriend) and I insisted that he let me pay him something, but hes refusing. So I gotta think of something to do now.

I dont care though, because there will be no points for me!!
  13. Too bad about the court costs, but I'm glad everything else is OK. This type of incident is why I'm very critical of the legal system.

I can't really think of a solution to the court costs issue. What do you do in a situation like this? Hold the victim responsible for them? (which is what currently happens) Take it out on the tax payers? The only real solution I can think of is to reduce the number of reasons why one would have to go to court.
  14. dude, he's a lawyer, let him be generous.
  15. Haha, thats true. He does have two houses, several cars, big screen tvs, all sorts of cool stuff.
  16. Man, right now, 135 seems like a drop in the bucket compared to what it could have been, although it does seem kind of stupid that I have to pay it. Im not worried about it too much now, but Ill have to put off any bass stuff purchases. Oh well.