1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Layered Body ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by psychotiger, Apr 20, 2009.

1. psychotiger

psychotiger

Feb 24, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Builder: Moore Custom Guitars
    Currently on my first build. Spalted maple top. Alder body. I have seen bass bodies with a layer of darker wood in between the "under-body" and the top. I'd like to do that but I don't know where to get a sheet of wood that thin. Looks to be about 3 ml? Too thick to be veneer. Can anyone point me in the right direction? :confused:

Thanks

2. try galleryhardwoods.com, exoticwoods.com or lmii.com.....im sure they can hook you up

3. psychotiger

psychotiger

Feb 24, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    thanks, I'll check them out.

4. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    yeah i just bought some from lmii.com. good quality stuff. dont forget to post pics of your first build!!!!!

5. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    but, you can layer veneer on top of each other to get the thickness you want.

6. psychotiger

psychotiger

Feb 24, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    True, but I was wanting to use a thin piece of wood as I was afraid veneer would tear out while routering.

7. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    not if you glue it down good. but yeah a thin peice of wenge or something would be better. but, you said the stuff was like 3mm. so it could be veneer, because when you get a big enough round over the veneer looks as though it is thicker because it makes it have more area of veneer that you see