1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Laying down an 8x10 on its side?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doctorpunch, Oct 12, 2010.

1. During gigs I can hear my fridge fine because I'm 10-15' away but at practice I stand about 5' away and the guitar player's cabinet is on top of another one and it blasts in my face so I can't hear it at all. I was thinking about laying it down and angling it at a 45 degree angle so it shoots up at me.

Also, I'm thinking of getting a 2x15 to pair with it and laying one on top of the other, once again on its side.

Thoughts? Anbody else do this?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    When you place two drivers side by side the horizontal dispersion angle is half that of a single driver. With four drivers side by side dispersion is half of two. Leave the cab upright, tilt it back.
    Move it.

3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    On their side is considered bad because it limits the dispersion to the sides, but if you are right in front of the cabs, then you are all good, might mean the guitarist hears less of you and thinks he is loud enough already too. Probably best pointing his cabs away from you, or pointing the 8x10 at him, and cranking the treble to a ridiculous degree, so he knows what it's like.

4. motherlode

motherlode

Nov 13, 2007
    www.facebook.com/dawsonsgang
    www.dawsonsgang.com
    Who hasn't had this problem, in ANY genre of music?
    My advice is, ask the guitar player if he is having trouble hearing himself over the bass.......at this point, you might both want to have a hearing test done.
    Best solution is, give the guitarist his own monitor mix, and put some of his guitar back at him through his monitor.
    Most guitar players will turn up.............all night.........more and more...............I believe their hearing becomes more and more desensitized as the night goes on. They don't seem to understand, that if their amp is miked, them more they turn up, the most the sound guys has to turn it down, until the fader is at zero.
    Then, they wonder why the band isn't getting booked there anymore.

Allen

5. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    Whenever I read "can't hear myself" and "blasts my face" in the same post, my first thought is you guys probably play too loud at band practice.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    agreed, bb.

7. jackcheez

jackcheez

Sep 13, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    I used to stack two 8 X 10's, one on the other, on their sides. No ill effects that I could tell at the time. :D

8. Sounds like a volume or EQ issue IMHO.

9. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    Devil's advocate:

Get that 215 to run along with the fridge. Point both at gui**** and crank it. Until he dies.

--Bomb :bassist:

p.s. Maybe wear earplugs

10. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Personally, and this is just my opinion, I would question the need for using and 8x10 and the guitarist using a full stack for practice.

I would go for much smaller cabs, like single speaker affairs so you can hear the detail and any mistakes, rather than competing for volume which can mask mistakes.

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    That's the problem with most reh spaces. Luckily for us, we have a long rectangular room so we are all spread out and we don't have to get stupid loud to hear everyone.

However in my last cover band, there were 5 of us PLUS the PA and 4 monitors in this tiny cement blocked room, and I was like 2' away from my rig, as was everyone else. So we just kept cranking it stupid loud so everyone could hear.

Either you all have to come to the agreement to turn down or find an angling solution that works. And in a cramped reh space, you should be wearing earplugs, no question! However you aren't gonna hurt your cab that way if that ends up working better, to actually answer the OP.

12. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    So a cab like the Bergantino 610.. since the speakers are diagonal... does that help in the side to side dispersion problem?

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    It helps some, but 2-3' in front of your cab is 2-3' of your cab, no matter what it is! ;)

14. pejsaboy

pejsaboy

Apr 10, 2010
    Damn guys... I hope you ALL wear decent earplugs. My band practices in about a 20'x25' barn loft (finished walls, hardwood floor, bare rafters) with everybody spread out. I play a 260w 2x10 combo, and the guitarist plays a 5w tube combo. We play pretty loud for what our amps can do, and the drummer and I both wear earplugs similar to these half in. I can't imagine PRACTICING with an 8x10 and a full guitar stack. That's just madness!

15. Well the thing is that most amps have this thing called a "volume knob" and if you turn that down enough you eventually don't need earplugs.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    it should be a little better at the top and bottom. in the middle...not so much.

17. It's always a volume war. The drummer mics his whole kit, for practice!. I'm pretty sure if I asked someone to turn down or move their stuff I'd get kicked out of the band. The downside of being the bassist in any band is that you're the nice guy.

18. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's not a band, and not worth your hearing to remain with.

19. jackcheez

jackcheez

Sep 13, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Speak for yourself. :mad:

20. /Sarcasm?

My main concern is if I'm doing any damage to my cabinet if I do that. Regarding when I pair it with the 2x15, I think it would just make sense to have them one on top of the other instead of side by side.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021