Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Layoffs are no fun.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by baba, Oct 8, 2002.

1. I've had to lay off 6 people in the last 6 months and tomorrow I have to lay off 2 more. I know these things are inevitable with the economic down turn, particularly in my industry, but this is really starting to get to me. Choosing the people is the hardest part...trying to stay objective and do the "best thing for the company." I know this is what capitalism is built on but it can really get sickening. I'm really starting to reconsider the benefits of upper management.

Sorry, I just had to purge that. Back to work :(

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Is it really true what they say in "Office Space": that it's better to lay off on Friday because people are less likely to return with a gun on Monday?

3. Office Space is one of may all time favorite movies.

But to answer your question, I've been told the opposite. From experience I've done the deed on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Anyway you slice it, it sucks. I'm just sick with anxiety....

4. Ok, so now with all that money your company is saving you should be getting a raise or a bonus. Right??...Then you could send paul some money and become a supporting TB member...That might make you feel better.:)

Fetch!

5. I doubt he is getting a raise. Did you even read his posts? If he was benefitting from the lay offs, he wouldn't be this concerned about it.

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada

we should have a top ten of the most stupid post ever somewhere on talkbass.

7. Thanks for the love Fetch. I feel much better now.

For the record, no I'm not getting any raise or bonus. I'm just trying to keep my job like the rest of us.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hey man, you've got a job to do like everybody else. The fact that you feel torn just proves that you are a good human being. No one would fault you for doing your job, unless you enjoyed it in all the wrong ways. How do people generally take it? Are they cool, or do some of them fly off the handle?

9. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Can someone explain to me what's so terrible about being layed off? From my point, it appears as a six-month paid vacation(well, about 80% of what you were making) with an extension if you can't find another job within those six months. Doesn't seem so horrible to me anyway, especially if that person has accumulated experience; i.e. marketable to other employers.

Hey, some of us are struggling to find a first full-time position to begin with.:(

However, I don't envy the position you're in, babadingding. Just another reason I'll never get into management.

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    You will understand when you have a family.

11. :eek: gee wizz,,, ok so I was a little insensitive.. but this thread started by Babadingding was so vauge that I only felt some sorrow for him, and little for the folks he had to lay off. What is his particular industry??? Why were they laid off??? Why is he the designated hatchetman??? It sounds like it might be time for a job change for Babadingding.. Why do something that makes you ill and uncumfortable if there isn't going to be a better outcome for you in the long run?

Fetch!

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That, and bills to pay. Unemployment insurance is as "bare bones" a source of income as you can get. A layoff is a disaster to anyone living paycheck to paycheck.

The psychological aftermath of a layoff is hard too. You lose that sense of purpose and a part of your social life too, namely the one connected with yoour job identity. To some people, age is a factor because employers tend to go for younger types.

I was laid off in the middle of August and although I knew another department would pick me up eventually, not knowing the when (and having all that extra time) wreaks havoc with your mind. Just because you ain't going to work doesn't mean the bills don't keep on coming.

13. that is a tough spot you are in bab. wow. my brother in law in new york, an electrical engineer, who has been with corning since the day he got out of college 7 years ago has just been laid off. many were laid off before him. at least you have a heart and feel for what you are doing. you are not doing this out of spite, or hate. like his company, the downsizing that is happening everywhere is really hard on businesses and employees and the ones having to do the laying off.
    however, like my brother in law, he has a positive outlook. he is getting full paychecks for 6 months and is looking elsewhere. his fears are huge though. bills, mortgage, 2 kids, and a wife. however, they will make it. they have family that love them and will support them in whatever it is they do.
    i am glad they have someone like you in upper management to talk to them. you seem a warm person who worries about the people. you do not seem like some of those jerks out there who do not care. adn things will get better with the economy. have a good day.:)

14. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Go figure!

An apology is in order and this "......" (you fill in the blank) throws another shovel full of coal on the fire.

There was nothing vague about babadingdings post.

You need to learn to sit on your hands, Fetch, if this is the best response you could come up with!

Pkr2

15. Polkahero, you're assuming the employees get 6 months paid. Try one week for every year worked. That sucks. Getting "laid off" is just a fancy phrase for getting fired due to reasons other than performance.

I'll be taking care of this issue within the next hour. I came in and no one can get into email...people know what's up....they're sitting around wondering who's going to get it....but I can't begin until another manager arrives so I have a witness. This is so bizarre.

Thanks to those who provided the kind words. I hate to lay this depressing crap on people but it really helps to purge this.

16. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    i've been layed off once when i was a lot younger, but it wasnt too much trouble for me. i have no kids and had no serious financial commitments at the time so it was easy going for me really.
    the only trouble i had was that i was rushed into another job from which got sacked 3 months later due to a mutal hate - i absolutely despised nearly all the people i worked with and vice versa!

my father had to lay off about ten of his colleagues after the big boom in the 80's, many of which he'd been working with for 10 years or more. he had a terrible time of it as he's one of thse people who are riddled with guilt about everything anyway, but in the end it was a significant contributory cause of his breakdown.
    i can appreciate it's a damned tough thing to do and i dont envy you, especially for those who have families. it's sh*t, but in the end that's what commerce is all about - which is one of the many reasons i think it sucks.

17. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I feel for ya babadingding. I've been there done that too many times in the last two years. I'm with a telecommunications company that is now in a similar situation to Enron if you know what I mean. We've layed off thousands over the past 2 years and there are more coming I'm sure. One of the hardest things I've had to do is "stack rank" people that have reported to me for years, and who are my friends. To have to decide which one gets hit first, second etc... totally sucks a big one. As to why these people just can't take a little vacation and find another job. Depending on the industry you're in, telcom for example, there are none to be found. One of my guys who I was forced to let go during a layoff last November simply due to a lack of tenure, is still out of a job 11 months later. The year prior to him getting canned, his wife had delivered twins, and they had just purchased their dream house, which is now being foreclosed on. Another person I had to let go in a layoff due to a lack of experience was a single mom trying to raise two kids. She had to re-enlist in the army just to make it. Don't let it get to you though. It's just the rules we have to go by in today's economy. Sooner or later we may be stack ranked ourselves and have to join the ones we've had to walk out in the past. For now I just try to keep the morale up with the ones that are left to pick up all of the extra work. Life is too short to worry about it too much though, so instead I took up the bass. It has helped alot with maintaining my sanity, such as it is... Good luck to you.

18. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    This isn't in the United States, is it?:confused:

19. Yes, and rules don't apply to big business.