Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lazy man's tuning

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cheviot, Nov 22, 2000.

1. cheviot

cheviot

Sep 2, 2000
    I'm really lazy and can't be bother to tune me bass manually so I was thinking of getting an electronic tuner. Does anyone know of any good ones for < $70 that I could buy in the UK?

cheers

2. Korg has got a very nice model for both guitar and bass. Farily cheap. Gt-3 or something its called.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Over the years I've owned variosu Korgs, Sabine, Matrix, Boss, etc.

Korg overall makes the best ones, in my opinion. Boss is #2 in my book.

What I like about Korgs:

1. They make a number of models with both needles AND LEDs. I've found that LEDs can't be seen outdoors and of course needles can't be seen in the dark, so you need both.

2. I've found they are better at capturing the pitch (my Sabine often latches on to a harmonic instead).

3.They last a long time. I own two that are still kicking after 20 years of use. By comparison, I had a Matrix tuner croak after a few weeks.

My recommendation: buy a unit with needle, LEDS and auto (hands-free) chromatic tuning. Since Korg changes models every year or two, I'm not sure what current models fit the bill. I bought one last winter for my daughter to use (CA-20?) that was only $20.

4. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    I like a floor tuner... Works on gigs, if you put it before a volume pedal then you can tune between songs, without interupting anything. Floor tuners can be more durable than the plastic numbers. A friend of mine dropped Boss unit ten floors and it still works.

jc

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I like the Yamaha YT-2200 chromatic tuner.

6. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    well a tuner only works if the guitar player has one too. if your "in" and he/she/it's not, then it will be YOUR fault that it doesnt sound in tune.

7. Naturally, all members of the band has to be in tune, especially when synthesizers are involved..

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

That's why it is beneficial to all use the very same tuner. Then all are tuned the same way. It does take more time though, because you each have to tune one by one.

Jason Oldsted