Lazy vendors?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bass Man Dan, Feb 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I asked a vendor if a body they had for sale would fit a neck they had for sale. Acceptable responses, to me, would be yes or no. Response I get: We don't know.

This is a music company. These were not inexpensive parts. I had the money to buy them. What gives?

saabfender likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    He probably should've said he'd find out and let you know but at least he answered honestly.

petrus61 likes this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Parts are parts. They probably weren't ordered together.

Also, when you ask "fit?", the vendor would have to mount the neck and screw it down, probably dress the frets, install strings, let the strings settle, adjust the truss rod, let it settle, and make sure it plays perfectly. Abd fix any problems that came up during the process.

By that time he's almost built a bass.

Or the parts have to be sold as used.

Lazy? or smart?

Just sayin'

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Right now my assumption is they don't have both items in stock & they're just a re-sell point, meaning they're just re-selling stuff they buy after you make your order.
    The first time I saw this practiced in a large-scale setup was in Singapore.
    Large companies function this way now.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Stumbo likes this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Pre-paid inventory for retail sales.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. Bass Man Dan

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I would have just told me "These parts are housed in separate sites, so I cannot say for sure if they fit" if that were the case. That actually makes all the sense in the world.

But I just wanted to know did the neck fit securely in the neck pocket. I surely wouldn't expect them to start assembling things.

96tbird and Stumbo like this.
  7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Then he looked at you and said"Shut up and give me money"

Bass Man Dan likes this.
  8. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

I agree with you.
    I would have liked to ask him "Why don't you know?":bored::rollno:

Some times I wonder why they don't think of things like that while it's being developed.
    You would think that the vendor would be in the know.

Bass Man Dan likes this.
  9. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    If you don't mind me asking, what company?

10. Bass Man Dan

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Stratosphere.

But I'm not calling them out. I have tried to buy cars and gotten basically the same reaction. Some people, companies, whatever, just don't seem to care if you buy from them or not.

Maybe I just feel like the over-entitled consumer. I just feel like a shoulder shrug is not the correct response. Find the answer. Somebody somewhere in your company can put ruler to part on each part and you can at least say "The neck heel is _____ and the neck opening on the body is _____." Like I say, it was over $800 between the two.

gebass6 likes this.
  11. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I could be mistaken, but isn't Stratosphere's business model just to buy Fenders and take them apart? Not that they order raw parts in?

12. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    With Stratosphere it's a somewhat different situation depending on the question you're asking since they primarily deal in used bodies & necks. If you're asking whether a Squier Vintage Modified body from 2003 will fit with a MIM Geddy neck from 2017, that's not an easy yes or no question. It may be unrealistic to expect them to know fitment for every possible combination of Fender and Squier product...but that said this is their business and they should know more than the average bear and should be able to give a more elaborate answer than idk or at the very least steer you towards equivalent products that are known to work together.

gebass6 likes this.
  13. Due to the variance in tolerances involved, they’ve been in it long enough to know that they can’t even give a definitive “yes” even for necks made for matching bodies. The official disclaimer is “measure your stuff before ordering”.

14. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Wow! You actually got a reply from them? That's a miracle in itself.

Bass Man Dan likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022