Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lb75 pup height

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Roger Heroux, Feb 25, 2001.

1. Wondering how close can I place my pup to the strings? I play without a pick and not hard. Thanks.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    A good rule of thumb for me is to hold the string down at the highest fret and adjust the pup to 3/32 to 1/8 below the bottom of the string. I play with a pretty heavy right hand.

YMMV
    -robert

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Roger- I've had my pickups up, down, and all around since receiving my LB75 this past Dec. I always seem to tweak factory setups. I don't dig in most of the time.

rllefebv's statement about the exact height is what I've seen in the Carvin reference materials on the subject as well as others sources.

I don't keep a feeler gauge or a decent ruler around, so what I did was get the neck/saddles/intonation screws adjusted to where I wanted them, then I adjusted the pups up/down just under the threshold of the "buzz" or "click" point.

I rely on the J99 so I made sure that was as close as I could get it without interfering with the strings, increasing in height from the B to the G.

The HB2, I really don't care for the sound of it except when slapping or I have a need to really cut through, so I didn't take so much care with it. Plus, it has two screws on the B side and one on the G side, so I thought that was kind of "screwy."

4. Thanks. My LB75 was shipped to me so I believe the pup were tightened down. They were 1/2" from the strings. I've ajusted to 1/8" closed at the twelveth fret. I use a hipshot on my "B" string so I may tweak the front one a bit. If all else fail I my get Bartolini's.