1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lb75 pup height

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Roger Heroux, Feb 25, 2001.

1. Wondering how close can I place my pup to the strings? I play without a pick and not hard. Thanks.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    A good rule of thumb for me is to hold the string down at the highest fret and adjust the pup to 3/32 to 1/8 below the bottom of the string. I play with a pretty heavy right hand.

YMMV
    -robert

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Roger- I've had my pickups up, down, and all around since receiving my LB75 this past Dec. I always seem to tweak factory setups. I don't dig in most of the time.

rllefebv's statement about the exact height is what I've seen in the Carvin reference materials on the subject as well as others sources.

I don't keep a feeler gauge or a decent ruler around, so what I did was get the neck/saddles/intonation screws adjusted to where I wanted them, then I adjusted the pups up/down just under the threshold of the "buzz" or "click" point.

I rely on the J99 so I made sure that was as close as I could get it without interfering with the strings, increasing in height from the B to the G.

The HB2, I really don't care for the sound of it except when slapping or I have a need to really cut through, so I didn't take so much care with it. Plus, it has two screws on the B side and one on the G side, so I thought that was kind of "screwy."

4. Thanks. My LB75 was shipped to me so I believe the pup were tightened down. They were 1/2" from the strings. I've ajusted to 1/8" closed at the twelveth fret. I use a hipshot on my "B" string so I may tweak the front one a bit. If all else fail I my get Bartolini's.