Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LB75F - Options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lakini's Juice, Dec 16, 2000.

1. i am going to buy this bass soon and i am wondering about the options. the ones i am going to get are the J99 p/u changed to the Bridge humbucker and coil spitter. and because of that i have to get the rounded body edges. and the other one is the fretless fingerboard with white inlayed fret lines. or the fret lines with dot inlays. color is still up in the air. so anyway, does anyone have any other option suggestions?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    :rolleyes:
    Well, you never told me money's an issue, so here goes:

* Tung oil neck
    * Matching headstock
    * 5-piece neck
    * Strap locks
    * Active electronics
    * Rectangular case (form-fitted sucks, IMO, not even room for a cable)
    * Last but not least... engraved truss rod cover with your name on it! :D

That's $265-$315 extra, depending on neck woods. Of course should you have a fancy quilted top with your favourite colour... that's another $300. Gets pretty expensive, eh? :D

(I'm not a Carvin-kind of guy, but even I can sit and drool over the tons of options you have by ordering on-line.)

Good luck with your purchase! Welcome to TalkBass! :) Fill out your profile! :D

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Just found that (all?) options are 50% off... so it's not that much after all.

4. ya i just found that too. can you order online? i e-mailed them and they said no. for the color i am just going to get something simple. maybe later on i will get a custom paint job. i am trying not to got over $1000. my parents are already not to happy that i am spending over $700 for just the bass, no options. and this is my own money.

5. what gloss/tung finish should i get? how much of a diff would the Tung Oil finish back of neck ($60) make? there are just so many choices for the gloss/tung finish i dont know what to do

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Of course you can order them online, all you need is a credit card. carvin.com - go to the model - select your options - add one to shopping cart - place order... Why shouldn't you be able to?

Tung oil *on the back of the neck* simply makes a smoother surface. It feels better, makes the neck faster, so to speak. I'd say it's definitely worth it, but that's me. Tung oiled basses are cute (love that smell), but a standard colour finish is easier to take care of and holds longer. Clear gloss is cool too... satin finish I'm not familiar with.

Actually, you won't lose too much if you just go without any options, it's still a very good instrument. It's all up to you.

7. i tryed to buy online and it said i have to make a acount. but there was no place to make a acount. so i e-mailed them and they said they dont sell online. i dunno. i am going to get the stuff on the neck, but not on the rest of the bass. are there any special oils/finishes for the fretboard i should look for? it is a fretless by the way.

8. what is this Hipshot bass detuner?

9. call me stupid, but i dont see a detuner there. plus i dont know what i am looking for

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    OK, I'll try to explain.

A detuner is like a small lever that you install on your tuning mechanism. Flick the lever, and your tuning on the string it's indirectly attached to, drops by one step. Flick it back, it goes back to normal tuning.
    If you have a EADG-tuned four-string, detuners are often used to easily drop the E to a D, and back again.

11. I ordered an LB75F with walnut body, 5pc walnut/maple neck, unlined, with the big MM type pickup and the mid boost.
    I also got the tung finish, the neck is ultrasmooth. It is a really nice bass, but I would recommend having a set of your favorite strings handy... I thought the Carvin strings were awful.

12. ohhhhhhhhh, so it is that little thing on the headstock on the Bunny Brunel in my carvin catalog. now how many strings does this little thing work for?

13. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Just one, I believe.

14. and this is safe on the neck? and is it worth $60, or $30 with the special?

15. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Saw a nice LB75F on ebay. looks like it has a lot of the options you are looking for. ebay item number is 527081642.
    Doc

16. Domino

Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    Options I got included

- Hipshot detuner
    - Dunlop straplocks
    - Black hardware
    - Tung oiled neck
    - Rounded body edges
    - Blueburst finish
    - Matching headstock
    - HC17 bass case
    - J99 single coil neck pickup with HB4 Humbucker Alnico-5 Bridge pickup with coil splitter

I can't wait to get these things. A friend of mine has a Carvin and says the Tung Oil on the back of the neck is REALLY nice, but didn't think it was necessary to get any of the other tung oil / wood options. He also said the hipshot detuner is great if you go back and forth between a dropped D and E (which our band does a LOT of)

17. Since you're getting a 5 string, I'd say no. As Domino mentioned, it's good for tuning an E down to a D, but IMO it's not necessary when you've got a 5 string with a low B.

18. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Normally, just the E string on a four. Unless of course
    you get a Zon Hyperbass. That dang thing's got `em on
    all four strings and the bridge has de-tuners for
    each string as well.

19. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Can someone explain to me the relationship between pickup options and rounded body sides? Why does selecting a humbucker for the bridge pickup necessitate rounding the the edges of the basss?

Or is this simply a marketing ploy by Carvin to make you buy more options? ;)