1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LB's Deep talkin flats (760FS-XL) question ??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by s0c9, Jul 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Hey LaBella experts...
    I have what might be a silly question ??

I usually play round wounds and based on what I've read here, ordered a set of Long scale Labella Deep Talkin' flats, 5-string, 45-128. They are going in a 35" Ibby BTB 5-str.

They arrived today and as I went to put them on, I noticed the "taper" on the "B" string...see attached pic with RED arrow below.
    NOTE: the other 4 strings DO NOT have the taper..
    IS THIS NORMAL???

Looks like it might be meant for thru-the-body installation? I would have expected the "wrap" to extend over the bridge for the "B" string. Packaging indicates a 4-str set with a label on the bottom saying "5 string set". Could this be a mismatched set?

I'm holding off installing them until I know if this is normal as the wrap on the B would start pretty close to the bridge pickup.. which IME would impact tone.

Please advise.. TIA
    If no answer, I'll reach out to LaBella on Mon am..

20170715_141442_w.

2. Yes, it's normal.
    No, it's not for thru-body. In fact, you should never string La Bella flats thru-body, unless they're the special thru-body version they offer.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  3. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Thanks for the quick reply.. .
    So it's OK for the "wrap" to end that close behind the bridge pickup ??
    The pic was as close to "scale" as I could make it.
    Obviously, I'm a noob at flats.. . :)

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Those are correct.

s0c9 likes this.
  5. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Thanks! Appreciate folks' response..
    I'll put them on then.!!

6. The La Bella flats are fabulous strings for the classic thump when combined with a good ol' P bass.

I'd be very curious to find out how they do on a 35"-scale Ibby BTB 5-string. Please report back.

s0c9 likes this.
  7. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Will do..

8. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    First impressions - and please excuse the adjectives used - I'm not generally a "tone" reviewer.
    Put these (.045 .065 .085 .105 .128T) on an Ibby BTB 5-str, replacing the set of Ken Smith Rockmasters (.045 .065 .085 .105 .130 ) on there.
    Ran them thru my practice rig at home - either a Sansamp Programmable DI, direct to mixer and headphones (Sony MDR-7506) or Ampeg SCR-DI using same routing - using passive EQ (flat) settings on BTB.

NOTE: This is compared to the Rockmasters which I've been using for about 2 yrs now.
    Yes, the "thump" is there, but there is less bottom end (deep low end bloom?) with more definition. The mids are creamy and the highs are not quite as defined as the Smith's but can exceed them with a little EQ added. They blend nicely, but are distinct and stand out with some of the blues, rock and country tracks I goofed around with.
    This was NOT an extensive test at home, but first impressions. I run some more over the next couple of days.

I have not tested them live yet, since I'm now band-less for the first time in 4 yrs :(
    I'll have to wait until church this Sunday, then report back.

9. Thanks for this post.

One thing about these La Bella flats is they do take some time to bloom. I would say 3-6 mths is when they really start to show their true character. So do be patient and enjoy the process of getting to know them.

s0c9 likes this.
  10. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Thanks.. taken under advisement ! :)

11. Pulex

Pulex

Apr 13, 2009
    How is the feel of the B string on these Labella 5 string sets? I'm thinking of getting the lightest set (760FX, .128 .096 .077 .056 .039) for my 4 string Jazz Bass and tune to C standard (i.e. tune up a half-step compared to regular 5 string tuning). However, I'm not sure if the lowest string would feel too stiff/tense...

12. aldaa

aldaa

Apr 27, 2017
    Alabama
    My personal experience with the B on La Bellas is that it's too floppy, and that's on a 35" scale bass. I'd imagine it being even floppier on a 34" scale, though tuning up a half step may counter this. Also, I'm no setup wizard, but I couldn't get the B to intonate properly. That said, I LOVE La Bella flats - the feel and tone is amazing.