1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lcd replacement question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TOOL460002, Sep 29, 2009.

1. hello- ive got a quick question regarding replacing the lcd screen on my laptop. will any brand work? ive got the chance to buy one on cl that is the same size- same resolution- and is also a tft lcd wxga. the only difference is that its a toshiba versus a dell (have dell laptop). does that matter at all? sorry if this is a dumb question, but ive only replaced the lcd inverter, so while ive cracked open the thing and get the gist of it, im no expert.

here are the specs of mine (dell inspiron 6000 [yes... very old...]):

• Manufacturer: Dell
    • Part #: Inspiron 6000
    • Size: 15.4"
    • Resolution: WXGA
    • Pixels: 1280 x 800

• Aspect Ratio: Wide screen
    • Surface: Both High-gloss and Matte finishes are available
    • Classification: Thin Film Transistor (TFT) Active Matrix Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) Technology

here are the specs of the one i can pick up for cheap:

I have a screen in a Toshiba Satellite A105-S2141

• 15.4” diagonal widescreen TruBrite™ TFT active-matrix LCD
    display at 1280x800 native resolution (WXGA)

thanks for anyone that can help me out with this. i asked my friend that knows a lot more than i do about this, and he says it depends whether or not itll be compatible, and i cant quite figure this out on my own or with his help. thanks again.

2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Woah.... I got nothing for advice, but if anyone can point me in the direction of how to replace a laptop display?

First I've heard of doing it!

3. Hi.

I've done several swaps (including iPods) and the only advice I can give is to find an exact match. Down to the last single digit if possible.

If the connector is similar, but wired differently, You can blow up the screen, the graphics card, or both.

BTW, are You sure it's the screen that needs replacing? A bullet hole in the middle or a spiderweb looking shattered glass is obviously a tell tale sign that you'll need it replaced, but IMLE 1 out of 2 instances it's either the fluorecent tubes or the igniter that has bitten the dust.

Is the inverter You're mentioning actually the igniter for the fluorecent tubes?

Regards
    Sam

4. thanks so much for the advice. i wont risk it and will look around for a cheap exact match.

as for the igniter thing... im not entirely sure what that means, but i know its for sure the screen (theres a very large crack with glitchy pixels working inward). plus, the screen still works aside from the crack, and ive replaced the inverter before, so i know what that looks like.

i used google and a bunch of small screw drivers to replace the inverter, and to build my desktop. when i get a new screen im going to use google again. these kinds of things are surprisingly easy.

5. I recently got around to replacing the screen on my inspiron 1300 laptop, I just found one on amazon that said "100% compatibility guaranteed". The model number was different but it worked.