LDS 1-12s: Houston, We Have A Problem!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Sep 4, 2010.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    ^Thanks Bro. I just want to get this thing sorted out and be done with it. The cabs I have are VERY well built, and aside from the porting issue, I am very happy with Don's work and customer service.

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    In my opinion, given Don's stance as a custom builder who tends to build from customer designs rather than from his own engineered designs, the customer bears SOME responsibility for checking his work and making sure it's going to suit one's needs.

In this particular situation, the oversight is obvious, but what I want to reinforce is the idea that as an LDS customer you need to be more involved than you are in buying a commercial cabinet. You're more likely to get both what you want and a perfect product that way.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Drill one 3" hole and then remove the other two port tubes and get Don to send me the correct length tubes for all three ports.

Seems simple enough. The hardest part will be removing the glued in ports. It might get ugly, but I could do it. Maybe using a heat gun or something to soften the glue?

4. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring a spinning, shimmery aquasphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Why not just wait to hear from LDS? Is there really a need to speculate on what Don might say?

To me this is a change order issue . . . If I hire a builder to remodel my kitchen . . . and he makes a recommendation that I don't follow . . . and then I don't like the result . . . I would need to pay for a change order . . . I could specify changes as long as I am willing to pay for them . . .

There was a discussion on design . . . an agreement . . . payment . . . performance and delivery . . . and now a problem . . .

Is it a design issue or something else? That's what the thread is about. The question will best be answered by LDS . . . and Don rarely posts here . . . especially if it's hostile . . .

And, don't forget: this is a holiday weekend . . .

Hope you enjoy yours!

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I think it's a little bit of "oops" at both ends. They're a custom builder. The customer told him what he wanted and he built it. Maybe more discussion on the front end would've caught this but then again, the builder should advise as to what will work and what may not. An extreme example would be to call up a builder and tell him you want the smallest 12 on the market, a 13" cube, just big enough to hold the speaker, the builder should let you know it's not going to have any lowend.

This here seems more along the lines of an oversight. It's not until this level of speaker came along that anyone could see the need for a pair of 4" ports in a 112 bass cab. Back before neo's came along a box like this would've held a deltaLF or a beta or something and the ports wouldn't have been an issue. Then came deltalites and basslites. Performance improved but not to the extent that you couldn't put them in a box using the same general design/construction as the old ones and again, there wouldn't be a problem with port area. The kappalite series seems to have crossed a threshold and kicked it up a notch.

6. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    When you are hired to make a custom cabient for a bass player and you get distortion on the G and A, that's a major issue. You can go to GC and buy "junk" for probably half what the OP paid that doesn't do that. I think the real question will be how the whole thing gets handled. I say this as a design engineer. People like myself are paid to direct the customer away from what they do not know will hurt them. I would hold this designer in the same light.

To me there is a difference in say the frequency response or cab voicing relative to basic funcitionality of the cabinet. And these cabinets appear to lack the basic criteria of a fully functional cabient.

7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

8. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    I'm not saying it's the OP's fault, I'm saying you can prevent this stuff when dealing with a custom builder by being involved in the process and asking questions like "what're you tuning it to?" "How much port area is there?" "What sort of crossover are you using?"

If you're ordering from LDS, you're ordering a custom cabinet that may be a one-off and may be something Don's never attempted before. Get involved in the process and make sure you know what you're getting. Maybe you shouldn't have to, but if you want stuff that performs like (or better than in most cases, if you're using Kappalites) 600 dollar cabinets for 350 apiece them's the breaks. Don's not a mass producer.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The cabs were much more than $350 each.

Don's built many 112s before. Actually he asked me if we could just go ahead with the dimensions he usually uses (which I had no problem with), as the ones I gave him were pretty close to his standard 112 cab builds.

If I understood all the technical stuff I would probably just build the cabs myself. That's why I hired someone to do it who knows what he's doing versus me who knows next to nil about porting, tuning and crossovers.

Anyway, I'll call Don on Tuesday if I don't hear from him before then... being a long weekend etc.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

That doesn't sound very "custom". Sounds more like making a run that you're already set up for, possibly already have a stock of pieces cut for or maybe even possibly rough-built sitting on the shelf waiting for fit and finish instructions from the customer. Can't say this for sure as I haven't seen his operation but the "standard cabs he usually builds" would have baffle layouts/cutouts for your 3" ports already done and a stock of that size pipe on the shelf. Makes me wonder how much homework or design was actually done. How long or in-depth did you guys discuss this before going ahead with the build?

I don't want to turn this into a slam on LDS, just that statement makes me wonder. How it gets handled will let you know all you need to about the company.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    While its possible he already had the pieces cut, my gut feeling is I very much doubt it. We talked about the physical features and I left the technical stuff up to him and his expertise.

For the record, I want to say that I am VERY happy with Don's work and customer service. No complaints whatsoever. Yes, there is a glitch that needs to be addressed, but I simply will not slag Don in anyway shape or form. I just simply WILL NOT go there. Even moreso on the internet. Its an understatement to say that he does not deserve that.

That is not to say I do not appreciate your guys' help. I really do, I just don't want it to be at Don's expense. Personally, I would not hesitate to buy another cab from Don... and I very likely will in the future.

My intention in starting this thread was to see if there was a simple fix to address the problem... nothing more.

12. mntngrown

mntngrown

Aug 18, 2007
    The lost Sierra
    Did you get a reply yet?

13. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    +1 to ::Bassist::'s last post.

I had a problem as well...namely, UPS decided to include a complimentary port in my cab while delivering it :rollno:
    Don has been nothing but helpful in resolving the issue. Now it's fixed and the cab is on its way back to me with ZERO hassle from Don. His work is excellent, my 1x15 sounded phenomenal when I tried it before UPS came to ship it back, and I couldn't be happier with Don's customer service. I really feel like he could've gone the way of Lakland if he chose to, but he seems happiest working 1-on-1 with people.

14. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    UPS damaged another cab of your's ? That really sucks :(

I'm really liking your first damaged/repaired cab I bought though I put a small ding in it myself at a gig. ( I don't remember dinging it but it was there when I got home)

You were getting two right ? I bet 2 will sounds incredible.

15. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Just got off the phone with Don. He says he's built dozens of these 112 cabs and has never had this problem.

Anyway, I'm going to send him one of the cabs and he will likely increase the port size so that I will have two 4 inch ports in each cab. Once that first cab is sorted out, we'll do the next one.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That's service, good to hear. He may not have had this problem before but you do and he'll fix it.

Reading back through this thread there is one other thing that could be contributing to your problem, that being a bad seal where the speaker mounts to the baffle. It's possible that could leak a little air and make noise. That problem usually doesn't occur but it's possible if you have a "pebble" sort of finish on the cab and the speakers gasket is of harder material that doesn't compress easily when you tighten the speaker down. Kind of an afterthought/longshot but whatever it is I'm sure he'll take care of it before he sends it back to you.

17. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yes, I have had that problem before when a bolt came loose one of my UL112s. However, that's not the problem here. I have taken the driver out and put it back in, and its still happening.

18. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    One thing I would add to the conversation is my experience with a 112/tweeter cab that Don built for me. I was getting a similar noise that you were, kind of like someone rattling paper. After doing all the usual fixes I could think of, I finally discovered, while having my wife pluck the E string while I listened, was that something in the tweeter attenuator panel, which was mounted on the side, was rattling. It stopped when I applied pressure to the panel. Sent it back to Don and he put some kind of shim in there to tighten up the fit, and now , all is good. You just never know.

19. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I had these cabs built without tweeters. The back panels for the speakon jacks are quite secure.

20. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Sorry to hear about that Torin.....no wonder you didn't want to tell me anything about those 2 cabs when I asked you how you liked them.......I'm still trying to figure out which cabs I'll get and LDS was one choice and they would have been the same cabs as the ones you got so I'll wait to hear what happens before I decide on what cabs I want....so I guess you'll be keeping the Epi for now? Cause I'm still interested in that cab, it's just that I can't make up my mind on whether it's LDS, Epi, Barefaced (if I find the $$), GK or even a used Traynor TC 112 at L&M Downtown that I'll be renting next weekend (it's only 25 lbs)...I've even been investigating the TecAmp cabs (very $$) and the Surrey L&M has a used GK Neo 112 that I wouldn't mind checking out next Monday......so I'm eager to hear what happens with your cabs......

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021