1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

LDS 1x8 3-way cabinet

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by The Jazz Lawyer, Jan 2, 2006.

1. I am selling my LDS 1x8 3-way cabinet. Very good sounding and light-weight (22 lbs) cabinet with an 8" neo woofer, a 5 1/4" mid, and a 1" tweeter. This is a very nice sounding cabinet for upright bass. Very natural sound and very light-weight. I gigged this cabinet about 5 times and found it just isn't working for me in my current band. These are $375 new. This one is a front ported cabinet with a black front (rather than their standard blue front which I think is tacky to say the least). The cabinet is in mint condition except I removed the logo (I will include it if you like to advertise for guys who don't endorse you).

Check out the LDS website for some info.

I am asking $275 plus shipping - save $100.

email with questions. PayPal for payment please.
  2. Eddue

Jan 12, 2006
    New Haven, Mich
    I am interested in this cabinet. If it is still for sell can you give me more details about components, frequency response, pics, shipping, etc.

3. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Eddue, I am pretty sure this is the same specs as the one you bought from me on eBay recently except that this one does not have the compartment on top. You know, I have to ask since I wondered this before but now I wonder even more - are you associated with LDS? I notice that New Haven is only 35 minutes from Ferndale...
  4. Eddue

Jan 12, 2006
    New Haven, Mich
    Hello Adrian

No association with LDS. In fact I haven't been to their shop yet but I had a chance to meet them last winter at Gordy Lupo's Guitar Show. I bought a setup there from them and really like it. It was the 8" 3 way pole mounted on a 1x12". A great set up that I want to duplicate and use for a PA system for small-maduim gig for a small Jazz group with vocals or some acoustic musicians I play with.

After I bought your cabinet I read your remarks here in the forums and agree with your comments about the sound of the cabinets at higher volumes. I never noticed them before until you pointed it out but I heard it after listening closely. I still think it is a great cabinet, especially with the 1x12". I am thinking about contact Don about adding a L-pad attenuater for the mid to balance the sound better. I think it would sound better with less mids. And also to see if the port can be modified to solve the Chuffing.

I also just found out after doing more research that the earlier 1 x 8" 3 way cabs were rear ported, as yours was and the newer cabs are front ported due to customer feedback Don got and made modifications. I haven't heard the newer cabs but I seen them online.

My original intent was to use your cabinet for a compact setup to replace my polytone mini brute V, or my GK MB amp, but having a lot of trouble finding an amp to fit inside the top compartment. I was thinking Acoustic Image but now I am hearing about the new Yamaha Digital amp and think that will be a better way to go but it is just over 14' wide and won't fit inside the top.

I find the forums here very helpful, especially your's. But if I had read them before I bought your cabinet, I don't think I would have bought it. As it turns out, I think the cab has great potential and sounds great when I play it so I am glad that I did. I am just not sure if the top compartment is such a good idea since I am severly limited on amp choices that will fit in it I would rather have the 14" cube with a separate amp head.

Let me know what you think...

5. Yes, it is still for sale. I can't tell you any specs on this cab as LDS doesn't provide them either when one purchases a cab or on their web site. I can tell you what I can see and hear. It has three drivers, and 8" woofer, a 5 1/4" mid, and a tweeter. This one is front ported and has two 1/4" jacks and a tweeter attenuator on the back panel. Black carpet and a carrying handle on the side (so it allows your amp to sit flat on top without interference from the handle). There is no pole mount on the bottom of this one.

Frequency response I have no idea but it reproduces bass well and goes quite low in fequency.

I hope that helps you in your decision.

6. Eddue

Jan 12, 2006
    New Haven, Mich
    Is the cabinet rear ported or front ported?

7. As I mentioned above, it is FRONT ported.
  8. I made a correction to my previous post. I originally typed the cabinet "doesn't reproduce bass well" when I meant to type the cabiner "reproduces bas well" I have corrected the post. Sorry.
  9. SOLD - thanks and enjoy!