Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LDS 2 X 12 NEO, Rig and mini review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by burk48237, Nov 1, 2005.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    As many of you know I have been in the process of downsizing, this started with an Aggie DB 750 (great head) Eden 410 and an LDS 2 X 10 neo. I loved the light weight of my 2 X 10 (41 lbs.) and detested hauling my eden at 94 lbs., no comments at all on the Aggie but if that thing is 47 lbs, (spec weight) then I'm 7'0" and suiting up for the Pistons tonight! :D

Anyway, I purchased an Eden WT550 after much agonizing and have recently added an LDS 2 X 12 neo (60 lbs.) which is about the size of an Eden 4 X 10. So here's the quickie review.

I A/B'd the LDS against a 310IUL Epiphani in LDS when I picked it up and they were so close it was scary. The LDS is warm but fast, much like the Eden head and would not fart on my low B. Anyway I got it home and plugged it in.

The combined Rig LDS 210 and 212 with the 550WT puts out 500 watts and weighs 120 lbs. I can carry any two pieces of this rig with my gig bag in one trip. On the old rig the Aggie alone was one trip (My guess on weight of the old rig was 195 lbs.) The only difference I can tell at this point is the Aggie has ridiculous headroom, my Eden has more then enough headroom. The Aggie was warmer at lower volumes, but could get lost on the definition end. This set up is fat, but very punchy.

My description of the LDS cabs is this, turn down the Selenium tweeters to halfway to eliminate sizzle and they crank. It's all there, Plenty of defined bottom, punch that hits you in the nards, and high end "click" if you want it for slapping. What these cabs aren't is an SVT 810, but what they are is a great alternative for someone interested in a modern sound with warmth, similar to Epiphani or Bergie HT series. Don will build you anything you anything you desire, but the cool thing is the savings, relative to the quality.

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Thats a sweet looking set up, and nice review btw.

3. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    By the way, the whole rig sells for less then an aggie 750!

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Nice looking rig! The 550 is pretty awesome, eh?

5. Nice review and great rig!

Hopefully I'll see you tonight at the clinic.

K

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Just curious, what kind of drivers does LDS use (Eminence, Celestion, etc)?

7. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Right now Don offers you a choice of Eminence or an up-charge to B & C which are the same drivers that Epiphani uses (Epiphani probably has them built to their own spec) but they are a step up from eminence (tighter tolerances). I'm not sure if they offer any other drivers or not. He also offers different tweeter options too.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Most excellent! That rig looks sweet! I was looking forward to hearing about the LDS 2x12. Can you give any more detailed thoughts on how it compared to the T-310UL?

Tom.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hey Burk,

I'm curious as to what sort of gigs you play with it, & styles of music you guys do...

This cab setup is something I was considering, except I was thinking a SVP-CL + QSC PLX to drive 'em...

10. I like it. The problem with modularity is that I start looking at the weight of each item and lose sight of the total overall weight. I'm glad you added it all up. Now just imagine, a Focus III SA, a D-TAR Equinox and a Schroeder 1210 and you would be under 60 lbs total for 800 watts!.

11. That also sounds like a great rig... although the Focus does not have the punch of an Eden in my experience, even with the additional wattage (assuming that the AI website is correct.. that the basic sound of the SeriesIII will be similar to the SeriesII).

12. Great looking rig!

What drivers you choose for your 2 x 12?

13. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I went with the B & C with both cabs. But one of the best players I know has used the emmince (Michael Harrington with Earl Klugh and Joe Sample) in his LDS cabs.

Ken, When I A/B'd my 2X12 with the Epiphani 310UL they were so close it was scary. I played thru a WT330 Eden and a Fender QMT 5 that Low down had, I also tried an Elrick NJS 5 with the set up. It was real hard to tell the difference. Now I didn't get to ear splitting volumes with either rig and neither bass has the low end warmth my Sadowsky has. But those cabs were very close! Both were tight punchy, refused to break up and seemed to project exceptionally well. Steve (freetless5) is stopping by my house after the clinic tonight with his incredible frettless Wal, should be interesting.

McHack, I'm playing in kinda off a Blues/Rock gig right now and I also play at my church. I've played Gospel, some light Jazz and R & B, anything with some soul in it. I have a feeling this rig will handle my requirements for all those kinda of gigs pretty well. I played 1500 seat auditoriums with my old rig, and I think this one will handle the same gigs.

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Nice rig Burk! Congrats.

15. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    That's actually the more flat position. There are a lot of guys out there that can't get enough top end. I intentionally left the tweeter hot so that players can dial in their prefered sound.

Ralf

16. Man, just when I had figured out what I probably would get for a new rig...another great LDS review comes along. If only I could check out the cabs (without flying to Detroit) before buying one. :(

17. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Congrats! Thats a really sweet looking rig...I'm sure it sounds great!

18. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I think I just found my new rig! I've been swapping emails with Don at LDS on that rig only with the 5 1/4" driver in the 2x12 and the sprayed on cab coating!
    We'll see what kind of prices, specs and weights he comes up with but it looks like a killer set up and just what I've been after!
    Great rig!

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That's what I love about dealing with LDS. They are willing to try anything, but are also good at making sure that the design you agree upon makes sense and will sound good. Truly custom cabs. Very cool!

Tom.

20. What's the power handling of both the 212 Neo and 210 Neo cabs individually?