Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LDS 2x12 order is in!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Went in and talked to Don yesterday. He's doing a neo 2x12 2-way with 2x6 mid drivers, Fender-style, to match my Bassman 100 tube head. It'll handle 400 watts, weigh about 55 pounds (!), and be about 26" wide, rather than the usual 24", so my head will fit better on top. It'll be a little flatter, visually, than the standard 2x12.

He said about 3 or 4 weeks. I'm pumped!

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    2 12's with 2 6's....I've been looking for a good full range cab that won't hurt the back while pumping the bass with good punchy mids and highs...Please do a review once it gets done!

3. Very cool. You will be very happy with the cab. I hope to meet you at LDS sometime... I'm there at least once a week... it's a great shop.

Ken

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Yeah deffinently let us know when your their next time. Ken and I are there a lot, and Mikebass has a cot in back. :D Which drivers did you go with, the B & C or the Emminence? I've got a 2 X 12 Neo Don made with the B & C's and love it. Here's a photo of it with it's little brother (2 X 10 neo)[​IMG][/IMG]

5. Burk, whether via PM or this thread (or pointing me to a previous thread of yours), could you please describe your rig's done to me? I've been very interested in getting a more portable solution than the Eden Metro I currently have and some things have come up recently that are limiting my finances (and making an Epifani solution seem less likely). I plan on going with an Eden head (actually, the Navigator into a QSC PLX), but since your cabs have the B&C Neo drivers I'd probably get (if I went with LDS), I'd love to hear your thoughts on the rig - particularly if you could talk about each cab individually in addition to their tone when run together. While I still plan on trying the Epifani UL cabs, from what I've read makes them sound a bit too hifi for my tastes. Any input you have is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Nick

6. I'm subscribing to this thread. I'm looking for a 112 combo (at least 300 watts for the amp) and have considered Bob's cabinets. Bass Player seemed to like what he did.

Anyone else have an LDS cab? How do you like it?

7. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Here's the thread on the set up, as far as the two cabs, the 2 X 10 is efficient, moves air and will handle most small room gigs provided I don't have to push a low B thru it at volume. It's a little "grindier" then the Epi, more of a rock sound. The 2 X 12 Is very similar to the epiphani, but a little warmer. My experience with Epi's is that they are only as "hi-fi" as what you drive them with. If your running a Clarius or SWR they tend to sound Hi-fi. With an Eden or Thunderfunk they can sound pretty warm. I wouldn't consider them near as Hi fi as SWR or Accugrove for instance. Although No one makes a "flat" cab. Both the LDS and the Epi are fairly neutral and with a warm head they can sound real fat. I used to run an Aggie 750, it was amazing how warm it sounded even with just my 2 X 10. You also might want to PM Mikebass, he's one of the busiest bass players in Detroit and his main club rig is an Eden WT405 and an LDS 2 X 12.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210792&highlight=LDS

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    So, is this cab going to be sealed, or will Don make any other accomodations to make this cab more "tube friendly"? LDS make some absolutely killer cabs. I like those guys a lot. And, I think that a 2x12 + 2x6 configuration could be quite cool. I'm just curious if this is specifically tailored for your 100w tube head.

Tom.

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Well, the 2x6s are for more power handling in the mids, which is where most of the tone of a Bassman comes from. When I talked to him on the phone, he didn't seem averse to building a sealed cab, but when I went there to talk to him, he told me about his rig (older, tweed Bassman head and 2x12) and how it was fine. I think the cabinet will be light years ahead of what I have now (look at my profile), and I really like the sound of my head through even those lowly cabinets.

The cabinet will be 4 ohm, too.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    So, it's ported?

11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Yeah. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I was unaware that the Mormons had gotten into speaker cabinet building.

13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Geez, munji, you got me rolling. :rollno:

14. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I've been told that I aren't the sharpest tool in the shed, so it took me awhile Munji...

...but, LDS...

...Latter Day Saints...

...Mormons...

...right?

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    A bump for 2/12's and 2/6's, sounds juicy!

16. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Juicy and light...

I'm looking for something to go with my Eden Wt800 so I can bridge it in 8 ohms. This way I can leave my 4 ohm cabs at home and use all the juice.

17. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    When you get it in...pics please??? :hyper:

18. Dwnturn

Dwnturn

Jan 2, 2006
    Wooster, OH
    Has anyone here heard or used both an LDS 2x12 and an Earcandy 2x12?

I am in the market for a new bass cab and was leaning toward the Earcandy bassbomb 2x12. I bought a guitar cab from him and am very pleased with it so I thought I would buy another cab from him but after reading this thread it seems LDS may be a bit more flexible in the construction.

Basically the Bassbomb is a 900 watt ported cab with eminence Kappa 12 and Delta 12lf speakers. It comes to about $480.
    How would a comparable LDS sound/cost?

Also, I still have to find an amp. I guess I'm going about this backwards but I already have a di I use for a pre so I thought I could pick up a cheap power amp at a local shop to hold me over until I have more money for a nicer amp.

19. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Different types of speakers in the same cabinet, unless its open back= mud, excursion problems, potential for driver damage at high power, and phasing issues. Even with separate chambers it's usually a bad idea (except in different bandpass regions with a well designed crossover). This earcandy company sounds like an upstart by a guy who either enjoys pushing hype (cabinet tone-woods...) and/or doesn't have an engineering basis for his products and/or engineers "by ear."

A lot of the design quirks that you can get away with for guitar cabs are quirks that are seriously detrimental for low frequency amplification. I would recommend against earcandy's bass products.

20. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've never played the Earcandy cabs. Don at LDS is a working bass-player himself and any time he does something new, He'll get it out and let it get tested in the club circuit before he markets it. And he is definitely innovative. Saturday he showed us a "Briefcase" sized 4 -6" with two tweeter cab that sounded unreal thru a Nemesis head! He won't be shipping any of those for 3-6 months but it was way cool! As far as price the LDS is real comparable, I paid a little more for the B & C drivers.