1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LDS 2x8 WET question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Irishbass, Sep 23, 2010.

1. I own (and love) one of the older (carpet) LDS 2x8 WET cabs. Just wondering if anyone else out there is using one and if so have you ever paired it with a second 2x8 WET and how did that pair sound. This little cab puts out a tone of great tone for its size, lovely deep bass for a pair of 8" speakers and a nice snappy top end. I often use it on its own for small pub gigs and it is great, for louder gigs I mostly use my Bag End S15X-D along with it and boy thats a great rig (LMII head).. I just fancy the idea of the four 8's since I like the first cab so much... I have been reading how busy and back ordered Don Oatman is this year with everyone buying these 2 and 3 way designs, so I dont really want to bother him at the moment... so any 2x8 freaks out there???:help:

2. Just had lunch with Don yesterday (Don't see him much any more). He is almost back to his typical order wait time, and is in the process of sending quite a few cabs out within the next two-four weeks. It was good to see him.

However, he is slowly working on his move to Seattle, and I believe he will be shut down for about 10 days at the end of October, so I don't think he is taking new orders until he gets back. However, he's back on track for a reasonable turnaround with new orders.

Per you question, if you like one 8ohm cab, then a second identical cab will give you much more of what you love... more low end, more power (4ohms), more volume (around 5db more volume, and a noticable increase in low end). So, that might be a good way to go.

I guess the only thing to be aware of is that if you have Don's outsourced 'truck liner' heavy duty spray on finish, he doesn't offer that any more (at least at this point in time), and can't 'match' that finish. Tolex, zero issue.

3. Ken, my cab is a good few years old and has the carpet or rat fur finish. Sometime in the future when Don is settled in his new abode I may order a 4x8 such as that lovely purple one you reviewed some time back. For now though I would be happy with a second 2x8 WET like my own, so a used one would be fine if I could source it, and it should give me the tone I am enjoying in a very portable set up. These 2x8s are such a surprise with the amount of pure BASS they put out!

4. That 4 x 8 was a killer cab. I would have gone with a more organic sounding tweeter myself, but it really kicked it out. Nice box!

Don's cabs are mostly custom (even that 'WET' cab was pretty much a one off I believe... he has never put anything in 'production'... not his thing). So, you will never find that exact cab used. However, he could build a second one for you with no problem if you give him the measurements of the cab or serial number so he can look it up.

5. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    What does " WET " mean ?

6. Can't remember... that was a long time ago. That cab was built for review in Bass Player magazing, maybe 5 years ago or so. Don had DB players in mind with that particular execution.

Edit: Just reread the original review from the Bass Player archives, and it doesn't even say what it stands for in the review! Who knows! I'll ask Don next time I talk to him. He might not even remember!

7. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    WET = With Eminence Tweeter

Ralf

8. Hey Ralf,

I had no idea :D

9. rpatter

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    The only reason I know is from the Bass Player review. I can't remember if it was mentioned in the article or if I asked Don about it. It's such an odd but unforgettable moniker!

Ralf

10. Just reread the review and didn't see it.

Brings back some good memories of when the shop was still cranking along and Don was just really getting the cab business in high gear. Seems like a distant memory these days.:meh:

11. Well I bought the cab here on TB a couple of years back from a Canadian TB'er, cant recall his handle? I had no idea it was a one off, I presumed from the high profile ad in Bassplayer that it was a production model... so you learn something new every day!
    I always wondered about the WET thing too, now that I know I'm almost disappointed its not something with a bit more intrigue..LOL!

12. I'm sure he made a few of them, but there are no 'production model' LDS cabs.

13. rpatter

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    Those really were the good old days. Don and I were just talking about how much has changed since then.

Ralf

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Howdy;
    I love Don's 8" filled cabs.

I have one 2x8+mid driver, one 2x8+horn, and one 4x8+ horn. I use the 2x8+mid for DB a looot, it's great for that!
    I often use two 2x8's stacked vertically. While I typically use the 4x8 alone, sometimes I add a 2x8...but those cabs aren't light, and that's a lot to move as that 4x8 is one dense box.

I use them all for both DB and electric. I love them! Amazing depth, gr4ind and clarity all in one.

22x8tall410UL.jpg
    22x8410UL.jpg
    6x8rig.jpg
    walds2x8.jpg
    5504x8.jpg

15. rpatter

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    A couple of months ago I did an outdoor gig in a park with one of my 2x8 cabs stacked on top of my 4x8. I powered it with an SWR 350 chrome (running at 2 ohms). I was a little nervous about doing that without PA support, but from what people in the crowd told me I had nothing to worry about! I loved the tone I was getting. If my main band wasn't stupid loud, I would go back to playing with those long throws - there's really nothing like them.

Ralf

16. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    IME, that 4x8+2x8 stack will get stupid loud, if you hit it with stupid watts;)

17. Wow chef thats some display of 8's!! some day I will have one of Dons 4x8 cabs with the more traditional drivers...not a big neo fan so far but then maybe i havent heard the right cabs yet...

18. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    mine are all long throw 8's

i've talked to don about loading my Henry 8x with those, but then it would end up weighing One Million Pounds.

19. I think my little 2x8 WET has the long throw drivers too... they are great and the tweeter is real nice... you can tell I like this cab!!

20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I am surprised at how well my LDS 286 has done at outdoor events with my F1. :)