Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LDS 4x8 cab review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vision, Aug 5, 2005.

1. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Okay...I've had my LDS (Low Down Sound) 4x8 cab for a week now, time for a review! I've played through it in the store and extensively at my house, and last night i used it in a band rehearsal for the first time. i am VERY impressed!!!

it looks great, i love the spray on coating that don used on this one. it is very well crafted and looks like it will last me a long time. there is a built in 2 space rack, which is really convenient. i'm not sure what kind of tweeter he used in this one. i thought it was a selinium but when i got it home next to my 2x8 cabs which definitely have seliniums, this one looks a bit different. on the back panel there are dual speakon and 1/4" inputs.

now comes the best part, sound. i absolutely love the sound of this cab. i'm a fan of well made cabs using 8 inch speakers. as i mentioned i already have a pair of 2x8 cabs made by ralf patterson (who works with don at lds on designs). the 4x8 sounds very punchy and clear. 8 inch speakers don't give you boomy, pant-flapping lows, but that isn't really the sound i'm after. i like tight, punchy lows that are quick and cut through when playing with the band. this cab definitely has that sound. it also has nice sizzle to the top end, which i love. small adjustments with the eq both on the bass and the amp made a big difference in the tone coming out of the amp...i only had to nudge the mid knob on my cirrus a bit to get a nice growly tone with fingerstyle playing, or a small nudge on the bass knob for some extra thump when slapping. i actually left the amp flat during the entire rehearsal.

the cab is alot more efficient than i would have thought. so far i've been using it with just my swr studio 220, and my drummer is REALLY loud. but i had no problem at all hearing myself at rehearsal last night, and i wasn't even pushing the amp hard. i'll have to see how it does on stage at my next gig.

okay, now the 2 things that i don't care for...first, this cab is alot more heavy than i really expected...i'm a big guy (6'5", 275 lbs) and i was huffing and puffing after carrying it upstairs. i really am not gonna want to put a heavy head in the space, or i'll need help moving this thing. (the thunderfunk would be prefect though!) second, and this is a small beef, i think the rails for the rackmounting are too close to the edge of the cab...i have to be really carefull moving it because the knobs on the swr stick out beyond the cab. this isn't a big deal though, and i'm sure that i could move them myself sometime.

all in all, i'm VERY pleased with my purchase and i love the cab!!!

here's a link to a picture of my cab on the low down sound website...

http://www.lowdownsound.com/customcabs/images/LDScab06.jpg

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  3. Double nice. That's a great cab... had the pleasure of playing out of it for a few moments at LDS. Congrats.... turn it up!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Cool, I love my 2 X 10 and it is scarry how loud it can get alone. Mines a neo, so it's not to heavy. I have 2X12 neo on my GAS list to complete my set up. Running an Aggie db750, now thats heavy!

5. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    Hey Jason,

That is probably one of 2 tweeters. If the bezel of the horn is somewhat rounded like the horn in my 2x8, but you see a pointed bullet in the center instead of a screen, then it's the phenolic diaphragmed Selenium. Not quite as nice as the titanium tweeter in yours but still an improvement over the foster that comes stock in SWR, Eden, et all. If the bezel is flat, then you have the Pyle horn, which is more comparable to the Foster.

I'm sorry to hear that you think the cab is heavy. I'm putting one together for myself to put on top of my 2x10 long throw. If that 4x8 is heavy to a strapping lad like yourself, I'll probably only make one or two gigs before I'm ready to sell it and make the move to neos ;)

Ralf

6. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI

thanks ralf,

yeah there is a pointed bullet in the center, it must be the phenolic diaphramed selenium...it sounds good, very smooth. not as much sizzle as the seleniums in your 2x8's (i love top end sizzle!) but i do like it. do you know what brand the drivers are in the cab? (i think they are the same as in my patterson's)

i'm getting more and more used to the weight, it might not be that its heavey, just that i was expecting it to be light. don said that the spray on coating also makes it heavier than the standard carpeted coating...

quick question for you...this 4x8 cab is 8 ohms. is there any way that it could be rewired to 4 or 2 ohms? i'm thinking that each driver is 8 ohms, and there are 2 pairs wired in parallel and then those 4 ohm pairs are wired in series. if the 4 ohm pairs were changed to be wired in parallel the cab would be 2 ohms, right? i'm thinking of getting an eden wt330, which is only rated at 230 watts at 8 ohms, but is rated at 420 watts at 2 ohms :)

7. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    You get a gold star for your impedance math! You are correct. Those are the same 8" long throws that are in my cabinet. You could wire them all parallel for 2 ohms. Personally, I don't like the sound of amps running at 2 ohms. Why not just bring along one of your 2x8's when you need a little more volume? That would be a 4 ohm load. Another (more expensive) option would be to buy 4 of the 16 ohm long throws from Don. Maybe he would give you credit for the 8 ohm drivers. Did I mention the 4x8 I'm building is 4 ohms? Just trying to tempt you ;)

Ralf

8. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yesh, you're probably right about running an amp at 2 ohms, i'm just trying to get the most out of what i'll have...that 4 ohm cab does sound tempting...i still have to get with you on designing a neo ultralight 322 cab though! :bassist: