1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LDS 6x8....Umm WOW!! Mini review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MikeBass, Apr 3, 2006.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Just played thru a new LDS cab. A 6x8 (non-neo BTW) with a bullet tweeter- 4 Ohm. Not sure of the exact wattage. I believe it's a 750 watt cab. I forgot to write it down. Sorry!!
    I would put that cab against any 410 on the market in terms of 1) sheer volume- it's loud as hell 2) tone- Oh man does it sound good.

The way that it is built, is the top 2 speakers are in a seperate chamber and sealed (it's 2 speakers wide by 3 tall BTW- a taller rectangle shapped box) and they are crossed over to handle just mids. The lower 4 are ported and handle just the low end. I don't have the exact cross-over points, but when I get them I'll post them up.

The low end in very rich and not boomy at all. Very controled. Like if Eden and Epifani had a love child.
    My guess is this is from the 8's being quicker to respond, than say 10's or even 12's (which are my speakers of choice).

The mids are not harsh and combined with the bullet tweeter (same type, from what I can tell that resides in the Bergantino single 12 cabs), make a nice transition from the lows with out sounding "detached". The highs are nice and silky, again, not harsh.

One thing that is killer on the gig is, since it's taller than wide, the top portion (mids & highs) is closer to ear level. Thus making it easier to hear.

BTW-I used my Fodera Matt Garrison 5 and my Acoustic Image Focus 1 (800 watt version).

:eek: Linited time-$550 carpeted with casters. :eek:
    I think it's a steal. If I didn't already have a bunch of cabs, I would own it myself.

They will build it with neo speakers but the price goes up. And you can also get it with the road ready spray finish too.
    Also, LDS is talking about making the top two speakers & tweeter angled back a bit to help even further with hearring it on smaller stages and such. I'm not sure if you would need it, but hey, it wouldn't hurt!

A great cab at a stupid good price.

LOOK!! I ADDED A PICTURE!!!
    LDS6x8.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Looks like a trip to LDS for me this week! Don was very excited about the cab last time I was in and had the pleasure of talking to him. Very cool! I think he's using the 'long throw' 8's down low, and 'regular 8's up top. Might be cool to use Neo's for the mids and regulars down below.. kind of a nice averaging of weight and 'boom', although Don says the new 'LDS Custom Eminence Neo 8's' sound amazing.

Thanks for the review!

K

3. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    Nice review...I'm gonna have to check it out! Do they have one in the store now?

Also, any idea on what the weight is on it?

Thanks!

4. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

KJung is correct in the speakers being long throw.
    Review?? No problem!! Hell Ken, I can't really talk anymore, but I can type!!! Actually today looks promising. My speech is pretty good today- I have more MRI's this week and my neurologist is really being pro-active. I'm getting out and not sitting on my a$$. So I'll be around if you swing over this way.

Yeah Jason, it's there now.
    The weight?? About the same as a typical 410 I would guess.

It's a really good sounding cab. No BS. And the price is awesome.

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Cool! Glad you are feeling a little better. I'll probably pop into the store early tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon.

K

6. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    What's up? Sounds like you could use some prayers. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Matt

7. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

I'll PM ya.
    But there are a lot of more derserving and needing of prayers than me my friend. I'm gonna be fine.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I had an LDS 5x8, and it was really nice.
    I have an swr 8x8, and it's really nice.
    I think the combo of long and short throw 8's crossed over spereately is a really good idea, and I bet that cab is niiice...

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Sounds like another trip up to LDS is in order! :smug:

Tom.

10. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Hmmmmmm!! :D

11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Love hearing about these things. They do lots of cool stuff. I just wish more pictures of the customs would go on the website.

12. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

I'll see if the guys will e-mail me a picture to post up.

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Just had the pleasure of playing out of this cab today at LDS with Mike, with my MTD535 and a Focus Series III. Whew! What a killer. Very unique design, with the two top 8's being full range and crossed over in a sealed compartment with 'super tweeter' and four long throw 8's ported below.

It's a heavy cab.... felt in the 80+ pound range (similar to non-neo 410's), so that kind of eliminated it from consideration for me personally.

However, it's a punch monster... it's a real 'hit you in the chest' sort of sound. I believe Don said it handles 1,000 watts conservatively, and I believe it.... it wasn't even breaking a sweat with the Focus cranking 800 watts into 4ohms.

Anyway... the price on the thing is unbelievable (I think around $550!!!!). Don is already working on a neo version with some other modifications....

It's really smokin'. If anyone is looking for a 'boutique' high quality SWR Henry 8x8 replacement... this is it!

14. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    +1
    It's a sweet cab.
    And it's like 1000 watts!!

15. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    It does seem really nice, but yeah, the weight thing would nix it for me, even at that excellent price.

Any idea of the weight of the 8" Eminence Neos? I'd guess about 4 lbs, maybe less.

Also, any guess of the price of each speaker? 10" Eminence Neos @ US Speaker go for $65, $80, & $110(for the DeltaLite II).

Sounds like some nice possibilities coming.

16. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Anyone know if it is bi-amp capable? Kjung: did you try it w/ your t-funk by chance? I'm also wondering if they would make it w/o the blue? probably have to email Don.

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    What 8" neo woofers? Did I miss something?

18. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It only had a single input, so that particular cab was not biamp capable... although I don't see why Don couldn't make on that is. However, that crossover worked VERY well... I don't think you would really need to biamp to get the full effect of the upper 8's vs. the long throws IMO.

I did not have my TF with me, but man, did it sound good with the Focus.

Finally, Don't let that blue baffle cover scare you... whenever you take a picture of one of those with a flash camera, it makes the blue pop about a hundred times more than in real life. The blue is very subtle in 'real life'. However, it's just a felt covering on the baffle, and Don has no problem doing it in black.

K

19. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    This "long throw" thing: are you guys talking woofers with a longer xmax as opposed to ones with a short xmax? I'm not seeing any narrow-directivity horns on any of the drivers...

20. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    LDS6x8.

Good job on the picture Mike!!! But it kind of makes my back hurt to look at.