LDS 8x8s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassin' 'Round, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Toying(pretty seriously though) with the idea of two Neo 8x8s from Don. If there were 3 speakers on each side of the cab & 2 down the center, I'm thinking it could be about a 24" wide x 28" tall box.

Interested in hearing what you fellas think.
  2. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    what 8's does LDS use for the regular and for thier Neo cabs? do they offer a "standard" and an "upgrade"?

It may factor into the overall sound quality/vol/price. (5 "upgraded" 8's may be superior to 8 regulars. 8 upgraded may be super expensive. Just asking cause i woudl ask these quesitons if i were talking to them. just curious.
  3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    They will use any driver you want. Their neos are a bit more expensive, but not much. Then again, with 8 speakers, it might get pricy. Sounds cool, but why two cabs?
  4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I had an LDS 5x8 I liked a lot. Pretty clean, lotsa thump, only moderately loud as it did not seem particularly efficient.
    I have an swr 8x8 I like a lot. I have an swr baby blue 2x8 I like a lot. A well designed cab loaded with 8's is a good thing;)
  5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Amen to that!

6. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Thinking that I'd have each one built as an 8 ohm cab to get a total 4 ohm load for my 400+.
  7. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Happy to hear you liked the 5x8. What other speaker configuration would you estimate that the 5x8 was comparable to? A 3x10? I'm thinking an 8x8 would be slightly bigger sounding than a 4x10, but less than a 6x10.

Also appreciate the efficiency comment. This is something that definately must be there if I'm going to have them made. I can always turn the volume knob to the left if needed. I'll be sure to cover this with Don. Thanks again. Appreciate it!;)
  8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The 5x8 was it's own beat in my limited experience. Don's a great guy and builds some kewl stuff...
  9. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Yeah, I see from the pics of his super varied configurations that he builds nice stuff. And he always gets really good reviews.

Truthfully, I don't think that he has any competition at all. He's the ONLY game in town if you want to get something in the custom vein.
  10. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Don will use either B&C (same speakers as Epifani uses) or Eminance. Neo and standard.
    I know Don and the guys at LDS well(I live 2 min from the shop) and I usually give most of his cabs a run thru when I'm there.
    I will tell you this, there will be no one else who will build you what you want like LDS. HAnds down.
    I own one of their cabs, a 212UL and it slams. Their 2x8 (the one reviewed in BP a little while back) is nutty good sounding and loud as hell for a little box.
    The 5x8 that Chef mentiond, I played thru many times and it was a great sounding cab.
    Don/LDS does some neat things with 8" speakers that no one else is doing.
    Quality is great, customer service is great, cabs sound stinkin' awesome.
    I'd give them a call and see what a 8x8 would run ya.
    Tell them Mike Fredericks sent ya!! (actually no, they may charge you more!!)
    BTW, waiting for their 112 500 watt NEO to be made. Should be interesting........
  11. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    I've emailed Don with most of the particulars. Going to wait a few days before I follow up with a phone call. Give him a chance to take a look at my email. Then we'll go from there.

And, O.K., I'll definately mention your name, thanks. I know both you & Tom, among others, have sung Don's praises quite a bit. Certainly has played a good part in influencing me to discuss the cabs with LDS. Thanks again.;)
  12. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    I have found that he is a lot more responsive to calls than email. By all means wait a couple of days if you wish, but don't be afraid to call him.
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Chef's LDS 5x8 was my cab for a time, and man, did it sound good. But it was a "medium volume" kind of cab, and since I'm either playing fairly quiet or really darn loud, it didn't get used all that much. I also have a neo 3-way 1x8 (see my 1x8/1x10 shootout) and I recently picked up a neo 3-way 3x8. Don certainly does build some great cabs, and as for customized cab options, as mentioned, he's pretty much the only game in town. Fortunately for us, his game is very good! :D

14. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Can't comment on the quality of the cab-building (don't think I need to either after reading this thread) but I have bought quite a bit of used gear from the guys at LDS and they are very helpful and seem to really work hard to make the customer happy.

FWIW....I used to have an SWR Henry the 8 (8x8) that sounded so good....def kick myself for getting rid of it. Unbelieveable lows out of that speaker config....mind-boggling!
  15. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The Henry 8x8 is my second favorite cab of all time next to my schroeders. Despite being a self proclaimed Schroeder Zealot, I still use my 8x8 regularly. A distinctly different and nice flavor.

I dig 8's!

I've not tried the Yorkville 8x8, nor will I-too big and heavy.

I think an LDS neo 8x8 would be flippin' slammin! I'd take a real close look at how the swr henry is built. I'm sure there would need to be tweaks to cab volume or porting to maximise Don's/your choice of speakers, but that Henry is really pretty amazing.