1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LDS Cab Advice...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freebeer, Dec 29, 2006.

1. freebeer

freebeer Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Suburbs of Detroit...
    I have a Genz Benz GBE1200 and I am thinking of getting a new LDS cabinet built for it. I went to LDS and played through several and just absolutely loved their 6x10 cabinet. They had no 4x10's in stock though. However I typically play your typical 'normal' sized bar gigs so I don't know if I need anything that big nor do I want to deal with lugging it around. However I am concerned about losing the tone that the 6x10 had. I currently run the GBE1200 through thte GB Neox212T and it sounds great until the the speakers start rattling and distorting in the cabinet. That being said I think I prefer the tone of the 10's.

The size is the only concern with the 6x10 since it is 36" tall. It's pretty much the same dimensions as my 2x12 but about 5" taller. Maybe I am worrying to much about 5"?

So, those who are LDS cab lovers, what do you think? Am I safe to get the 4x10 or will I be dissapointed because it just doesn't have that same warm thumpy punch that the 6x10 does without being to bright. I would like a cab that can handle the power of the GBE given the times that I may need to turn it up a bit. The current 212 does alright until the band gets a touch loud and then she gets really distorted and nasty sounding.

Share your thoughts!

2. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Why it the additional 5" a problem? Getting the sound up closer to ear level is usually a good thing. The only downside I can see is weight and transportability. That might be a problem with a 6x10 but if you can handle that then go for it. The 4x10 won't necessarily have the "same but smaller" tone of the 6x10.

3. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i have a 4x10 that is basically a LDS 4x10 think......

it has MONSTER bottom and tone.

i imagine an LDS 4x10 will be rated somwhere between 700-900 watts....it can probably handle your amp and then some....

if your just playing bars and small clubs then a 4x10 will handle it easily....and if you start playing huge clubs then the club's sound system will handle it...

how much are you playing out? weight and portability can be a huge factor....my LDS 2x10 and my "LDS" 4x10 weigh a TON....

so in short...do you need a 6x10? no. would a 6x10 be fun? YES.

basically the only question you have to answer is...do i want to lug around 2 extra 10s???

4. Just got my LDS and love it so far. I'm actually thinking about ordering a NEO 6x10 for bigger gigs. If you have the room to haul it, get the 6x10.

5. Dude, you're worrrying about 5"????
    Aim higher young lad!!!

Sorry couldn't resist!!:D
    I'm good friends with the LDS boys and play through a LOT of their cabs.
    I wouldn't sweat the 5".
    If you go with one and have it custom built (and not taken off the floor) have Don just adjust the numbers to "move" the height to, say the depth or something.
    There's a ton of ways to get the desired results size wise and keep the inside dimensions correct for the chosen speaker configuration.

6. freebeer

freebeer Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Suburbs of Detroit...
    Thanks for the input.

Don quoted me a price on the 6x10 that is a good bit cheaper than the price listed on the 4x10's listed on the website. Not sure why this is. The 6x10 is rated for 1500 watts, which would be more than enough for the GBE1200.

Decision is hard to make. I don't think I 'need' the extra 2-10's but for only 5" more than current it may be hard to pass up. I just worry that I'll order a 4x10 and it'll sound different enough from the 6x10 that I'll not be happy. I wish there was a 4x10 in the store that I could try out. :(