Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LDS cab finish recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Adrian Cho, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I know this is a bit of personal preference but does anyone have any comments or recommendations regarding the finish for LDS cabs? I have ordered my 1x8 with the road-spray but am having second thoughts now especially since it's an additional cost (always trying to keep costs down) and an additional wait time. The B-1 I've ordered has carpet (there's no choice) and having the cabs match somewhat when stacked might be nice.

I have shied away from carpet covered cabs only because some of them look tacky and I've seen what they look like when the carpet has really deteriorated. Then again I am also very careful with my equipment. I've also ordered a cover for the B-1 which might be helpful to maintain the appearance (but is more crap to deal with).

Not sure about Tolex...

2. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I just ordered a LDS 1x8 also and went with the carpet. Carpet stays nice if you use a cabinet cover, which I do. I didn't want to deal with the time and extra expense of the spray on cover.

I have an EA cab with the spray on coating and it is very nice. I like it better than carpet but it doesn't make that much difference to me.

3. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    So you ordered a cover with your LDS cab?

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I think that Don offers covers for his cabs. I'm going to order a custom shoulder bag so I can still be a one-trip-wonder with my upright. I'm hoping its not going to be too big/heavy for this.

5. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    Adrian,
    I also got carpet. I dunno seemed like just the words road spray sounded weird... but it was cheaper and Don said it was what most people were getting and well, I am a slave to peer pressure. I'd be into a nice shoulder case too if there is any info on that. I was already researching where to have one made. I really dont want anything like my GK case which wes so hard to get the amp into that I eventually just yanked all the protective foam out just so I coud get the thing in.

6. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I got carpet on all my LDS - it's very low pile and as good as I've seen. I may try a spray next though as the last Wizzy I had seemed very appealing. I order my covers from Tuki (www.tukicovers.com). I think that's where Acme gets theirs. I asked Don a bunch of times about a cover, but he hadn't gotten around to it yet. Tuki has the specs for both the 1x8 old with the rear L-Pad, 1x8 new with the side L-Pad and 2x8 (vertical - not the stock horizontal). I talked Tuki into making the 1x8 new style with a big top pocket to hold a Clarus SL so you in effect get a combo one-hand-carry rig. They charge extra for it and you may have to grovel to get them to add it. Personally, I think a shoulder strap wouldn't be so great as the 1x8 is too deep. Also if you want the covers to slide off easier, add 1/2" all around to the Tuki specs on file or when you supply your own specs per their instructions.

7. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    I don't really like the Tuki covers. They are neither here nor there. It is a dust cover, but not a padded shoulder case (which is what I like) For a dust cover it seems like more stuff with quasi usefulness. Anyone know of a maker who makes shoulder bags?

8. Aleph5

Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    Tennessee
    I went w/ carpet. I don't see any disadvantage except maybe being a bit of magnet for all the dusty floors which seem to be anywhere gear is transported. There is also a new, chemical smell, but it's fading, I think, and is not too strong unless you get close.

Has anyone inquired w/ Mooradian about a bag for theirs? I love mine for my GK. One for my LDS would be my first option.

9. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks for the recommendations guys. I decided to change my LDS order to carpet which means both a savings and quicker delivery. Also after seeing what the Tuki covers look like, I dropped that from my Acme order. Looks like I'll just have to deal with carpet and try and keep it clean and in good condition.

10. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I took carpet. Just take good care of it, you know? I make sure to keep mine in a room where the cats never go....

11. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yeah that's a given for me with seven cats and five dogs!

12. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I like the spray covering on my EA speakers. Carpet seems to trap smell, (cigarette smoke) pet hair, and winds up fraying. My personal preference would be to get the road spray.

13. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think if you have carpet you just have to take good care of it. Fortunately there is no smoking in any of the venues I play (if there was I wouldn't play there). When my equipment is not in use, it is usually in a closet.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I do like EA's spray coating, but all of my LDS cabs have an excellent carpet job. However, I am a big proponent of cab covers. I find that they not only keep the dust off, but they add protection (to both cab and vehicle) during transportation, and if it is precipitating when I am loading in, I like to keep the rain/snow off.

Tom.

15. The LDS spray coating is wonderful and IMO worth every penny... very clean looking and very strong. However... it won't affect the sound... so if you have to save your penny's, the carpet is OK also. It does add a very small amount of weight, but on a very small cab, you wouldn't notice.... on a 6x10 you might!

16. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    When you get it could you post a pic? That pocket sounds like a good idea.

17. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Already got two - one went to Tom Bowlus. My camera is 'on vacation' for 2 more weeks...maybe Tom will post it.

18. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    What? You only have ONE camera? :)

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'll try to take some shots. What are you looking for? The cab with carpet covering? The cover with the zippered pouch? Both?

Tom.

20. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    The cover with the pouch.

Thanks.