Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LDS cabinet to match a 100 watt tube head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The idea is to find a fairly-efficient cabinet to go with a 100 watt tube head that I use. My thoughts were 2x12 or 2x15, under $700 or so. I'm playing four string exclusively these days (fretless), so I don't need any huge bass extension anymore (had a 7 for years, back to basics for now ...).

I guess their 2x15 interested me most, but perhaps the 2x6 part of the cab is unnecessary for me. I was also thinking of going with a sealed cab, but read from Tom that they weren't too keen on that idea.

If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know. By the way, a NV215 probably would be wonderful, but a bit high for me on price.

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    No suggestions, just also interested in the results.

3. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Just give Don a call at the shop...(866)674-1646. Let him know what you're going for and he'll give you a great idea of what will work. They can do completely custom cabs, and he is very open to suggestions!

4. +1 I assume in your situation you would want some sort of sealed 2x12" cab... seems like that would match up well with the tube amp and the fretless thing.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I also like sealed cabs with tube amps, but try as I might, I could not get Don interested in building me a sealed cab. :meh:

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    In truth, something from the NV line from Bergantino would really be the best way to go, IMHO. But, it looks like Jim has discontinued the NV215 and NV425, so snag one if you see one, or go for the NV610 (while they're still around!). The 610 is probably going to be the most efficient and go louder with a lower wattage head (though of course each NV cab has its own sound).

Tom.

7. Interesting... I wonder if he doesn't have the design spec's, drivers, etc. Given that, sounds like it's the Berg's all the way!

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'm heading into Low Down to talk to Don about it tomorrow. Talked to him on the phone today, and he didn't seem especially hostile to a sealed idea, but he steered me away from it. We'll find out more tomorrow, I guess. He's got two ideas - a neo 2x12 of sorts, or a neo 1x15 + 1x6. We'll see.

9. You might want to PM MikeBass about his relatively new LDS neo 212. I haven't heard it yet, but those who have say it rocks. I believe he's powering it with an Eden330 ( or whatever number the 'pre 405' amp is!)