Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LDS long throw 8's - volume question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bino, Oct 18, 2004.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I'm seriously considering ordering either a 2x8 or 3x8. Last I heard these drivers were 8ohms and therefore, the 2x8 was a 4ohm cab and the 3x8 even lower. Since one of these cabs is all I would be able to power, how do they perform volume wise? How do they compare to a typical 8ohm 115 or 112? I assume they're much quieter than say 2 x 112's (the aggie for instance).

edit: Oh yeah, how effecient are these cabs?

2. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    bump for all the LDS luvva's not online yet

3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

Let me check (or drop the shop a line) but the 3x8 is a 5.3 Ohm load. I 99% sure on this.
    The 3x8 with 3 8ohm speakers would be less than 2 ohms and no amps that we normally use go that low!
    Just for conversions here (and all you speaker geeks don't kill me!)
    a 2x12 has about 226 sq in of surface area.
    a 2x8 has about 100.
    a 115 around 176
    So if you look at just the phsycal are able to move air, then yeah, I guess the 2x8 would be "quiter". But the LDS 2x8 is freakin loud as hell for a little cab.
    I haven't put it next to a 1x12 yet, but after using the Aguilar 1x12 cabs and the LDS 2x8, it puts out at least as much.
    Search for LDS 2x8, a few guys here have some.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm with MikeBass. I recall the 3x8 as being a 5.3 ohm cab (much like the Epifani T-310). For its size, that sucker is stupid loud! And talk about gobs of low end! I was shocked! More low end than two 1x12's, I'd say. Definitely more low end than one 1x12, and more than most 1x15's. Maybe two Epifani T-112's would be close, but in general, you'd be hard pressed to find a similar size cab with anything close to the same low end. An ACME Low B-2 might come close with enough power, but it's not going to be nearly as efficient as the LDS cab. Much like ACME's, though, I find that I would want just a smidge more upper midrange articulation than what the 3x8 offers. However, I hear that Don is working on a 2x8 w/ mid and w/ tweeter, which might be just the ticket.

5. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Thanks for the observations. I have little experience trying different cabs and rigs, but is it safe to assume that the extra lows make a cabinet seem louder? IOW, all things being equal (ohms, wattage, speaker area), will a deeper sounding cab give the impression of having more volume? I like what I hear about these cabs, but like I wouldn't be able to add a second one if more volume is ever needed. I suppose I won't ever run into that problem, but what if.... ? Currently, I run 100 watts into a 115 with the gain on 7 and the master vol on 5 as my loudest setting.

6. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.

I guess it would seem louder.
    It's really subjective to how loud "loud" actually is. :eyebrow:
    Get it?!?!
    If you get an 8 Ohm cab then you could add a second cab tho, if you amp is stable at 4 ohms.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it's been my experience that more lows does NOT make a cabinet seem louder, more mids does. I haven't heard the LDS so i can't comment further but it sounds like a cool design. Amazing what 8's can do in the right box.

8. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Little off subject, but don't you use a WT330 head MikeBass? How are you liking it? How does it compare to the other small Eden heads? I'm interested in checking one out.

9. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Yeah all I've been using for about a year now. I was looking for smoething smaler like the WT500 and tried out a few different heads when I plugged into it on a whim. Well I bought the damn thing!!
    I really dig the head. IMO it's the best sounding Eden head they make, but it still sounds like an Eden head.
    It's real simple with only a few controls (comp, bass, mid, treb, enhance and bass & treble boost switches, as well as a mid voice switch).
    It works like Eden says as well, keeps you tone at different levels.
    I wish other heads had some of the features this one has.
    The "warm" switch, well I can't tell really much of a difference with it on or off. It's supposed to mimic a tube type of sound.
    It's 330 watts @ 4 Ohms and it's a loud little amp.
    If they doubled the power on it, it would be killer. It's sweet now, but the added head room would make more people give it a spin.
    But it may be going away soon and replaced with a Acoustic Image Focus 1. I'm like, 600 watts and 4 pounds!!! Dunnoo thou, still thinking about it.