Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LDS mini three way 8" or 30 watt practice amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Doug Parent, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Situation: I need a small one handed speaker cabinet/or/practice amp for small rehearsals or little resteraunt gigs or living room practice.

Data: I have a GK1001RB head and play 5 string

I could either:
    a) buy a mini three way LDS 8 x 5 x tweeter cabinet for $299 and have great sound from that plus use it on top of my bergantino 115 when needed, or

b) buy a little Fender or Roland bass cube or Hartke type practice amp with aux inputs-handy for CD players- for $150-$299 range.

what do you see the pros and cons of each scenario?

I'm not familiar with the quality of these small practice amps so its hard to make a snap decision.
    Thanks for your input, and happy new year!

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I would imagine that you could get quite a bit louder with the LDS cab w/your GK head than the other options.

The small combos are easier/simpler to haul/setup. If you went that way, check out the Fender & the Roland, but forget the Hartke. Just my $0.02.

[For $150, the Bassman 25 is hard to beat, but I don't know how loud it could do low 'B'.]

3. Yeah - the pricing on the Bassman series is incredible right now. The Bassman is an IMPRESSIVE little combo. BUT -it's just that - a practice combo. I think that unless you need the volume and versatility of the head+cab, I'd go w/ the small combo. Just make sure it has some pro features (like XLR output). I have a large Ampeg setup that I use w/ my blues band, and a small Yorkville XM50C combo that I use for everything else. Small, light and great tone. Only cost $300 and I don't have to move around a head, cab and assorted cabling when I want to go somewhere and play with a smaller amp.

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I think you'd get alot of mileage out of the three-way, moreso than a cheaper practice amp. With your GK I bet you'd be really surprised at how well that little cab would handle the low B. The long throw driver puts out a massive amound of low end. You could also buy another 1x8 from Don at some point and have an incredibly portable and wicked rig with the GK. I wish I had the $$$ for that setup! I'd do it fo shizzel!

Will

5. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dude, thats a helluva an idea! I bet Don could put even a 10" long throw in the same size cabinet and use it for a sub. Or just using two of the same cabs would probably work great as a mini rig of doom like you said. thanks.

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I don't think you would need a 10" long throw sub, the 8" puts so much low end it's silly. You'll be shocked. I think two of the three way cabs would be ill. If you get one (or two) be sure to keep us posted! The bonus on the three way will be the mid driver. It should fill the gap between the longthrow and the tweeter.

Will

7. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    3-way definitly illing like a chilly willy. Will do. Hopefully Don has sum a duh bad boys ready tah gu! Late